What's up with the TN watermark on photos that get uploaded?

I've noticed some have it, some don't. Is there something that decides that? What's the watermark mean for you guys - are you marking it as owned by TN or does it serve another purpose? Is there a way to not have it there?

This topic was edited
RE:What's up with the TN watermark on photos that get uploaded?

I think its there to make it harder for people to steal the pics and create false accounts with them elsewhere .

Of maybe its just TN saying these are mine, all mine.

This post was edited

I don't see a copyright notice so I'm thinking/hoping the first part is correct! I figure asking is good, too. I am filled with a truly obscene amount of questions; if I don't get enough of them out in a timely fashion I might well explode.

This post was edited

TN is very clear that YOU own your images, that YOU can take them down, and that while you leave them up, you've granted TN the right to use them, consistent with your privacy settings, although they don't promise that your content will always be hidden from the wider internet.

The watermark is there to deter people from stealing your photos.

The legalese, from the Terms of Service:
Sharing Your Content and Information

You own all of the content and information you post on to site, and you can control how it is shared through your privacy and application settings. In addition: For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos and videos (IP content), you specifically give us the following permission, subject to your privacy and application settings: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with "the site". (IP License). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it. When you delete IP content, it is removed from "the site". You understand that removed content may but still may be stored or cached in site backups, or content delivery networks. When you publish public content or information, you are allowing everyone, including people off of "the site", to access and use that information, and to associate it with you (e.g., username, your name and profile picture).

This post was edited

Thank you, Steve :)

This post was edited

TN is very clear that YOU own your images, that YOU can take them down, and that while you leave them up, you've granted TN the right to use them, consistent with your privacy settings, although they don't promise that your content will always be hidden from the wider internet..

The "you can take them down part" is kinda fuzzy. When you delete media from TN (and I presume TS since they share the same programming), the only thing that actually gets deleted is the link from your profile, the group, or the Gallery, to the media file on the media server. The media file itself is NOT deleted from the media server and can still be accessed (even by people not logged in to TN or TS).

John aka cobeachbum

This post was edited

And there is this thing called the Wayback Machine. It stores copies of old web sites, so you can see what was posted on them years and years ago. Let's face it: when something gets posted on the Internet, it's effectively there forever.

This post was edited

I've noticed some have it, some don't. Is there something that decides that? What's the watermark mean for you guys - are you marking it as owned by TN or does it serve another purpose? Is there a way to not have it there?Thanks :)

It depends on when the photo was uploaded. Over time, various variations have appeared, from the simple "TN" leaf, to one a few years ago that was horrendously huge and would often cover most of the photo, to the current one that includes the leaf and the URL.

If you upload photos, keep in mind the current watermark will appear in the lower right hand corner, and crop appropriately if you don't want it covering anything you deem important in the photo.

You can also add your own personal watermark before uploading if you want (The TN watermark will still be added, but you can tag the picture as yours).

John aka cobeachbum

This post was edited

The "you can take them down part" is kinda fuzzy. When you delete media from TN (and I presume TS since they share the same programming), the only thing that actually gets deleted is the link from your profile, the group, or the Gallery, to the media file on the media server. The media file itself is NOT deleted from the media server and can still be accessed (even by people not logged in to TN or TS).John aka cobeachbum

Which they fairly explicitly cop to in the terms of service. I wondered, when I read that, if it had appeared in response to some of your earlier posts on the issue, or whether it has always been part of the boilerplate terms.

This post was edited

All my pics have the watermark.

This post was edited

Mine too

This post was edited