How Were You Introduced to Nudism?

When was your first official platonic nudist experience (not as a high or college athlete in the shower)? I didn't participate in sports in junior high/high school/university.

I didn't categorize myself as a nudist when I was sleeping nude in high school. I loved the feeling of the bed coverings on my body, and maybe there was a slight thrill of feeling like I was an adult in my bedroom with the door closed, no locks.

I grew up in the performing arts, and there were always half-dressed actors and dancers in the dressing room, rarely fully nude, but I don't think anyone would've made a fuss. We were in our element.

I never suffered from male body image issues. I was raised in a large matriarchal family with confident and dominant women.

My college dorm floor had a few international students, some of who walked around their room or answered the door bare ass nekkid to shock of the Americans on the floor. I didn't know it then that I'd later embrace nudism.

Flashforward from my hometown to NYC (listen to the harp playing in the background) . . .

Picture it, NYC. My first few male roommates and one female roommate and I walked around the apartment in our underwear. No big deal. Like energies tend to gravitate towards each other.

My official foray into 'nudism' - the label and lifestyle was a dare from a European roommate who grew up going to nude beaches in France and Portugal, and felt constricted (physically and spiritually) in our shared apartment. We, too, walked around in our briefs or boxers until one day (drum roll) I returned from rollerblading in Central Park and there he sat bare ass nekkid at the kitchen table typing away on his laptop.

Shock. Horror! Gasp! Why oh why are you nekkid, dear kind sir?

I felt awkward. The American was unprepared. Why was this different from the nude guys in the dorm?

We talked about it. He reminded me that we were at home, and he was comfortable being nude. Truth be told, I've slept nude since high school and up to the night before the above. I'd always put on underwear or casual clothes before leaving my bedroom.

Showering or taking a bath nude, yes. When you're having intercourse, yes, most often nude. We'll revisit cosplay under a different heading.

In that moment with my nude roommate in the kitchen, I felt exposed and I was clothed.

My roommate was unfazed moving from the table to the refrigerator. I didn't stare. I wanted to exude a similar confidence.

Twenty-four-to-forty-eight hours later, I was alone at home and felt like Tom Cruise sliding across the wooden floors in Risky Business, but nude.

He returned home, of course, and I reached for a pillow to cover myself. He laughed. Silly boy! Why are you covering up?

Nine years later and counting, I've been a mentor to other novice nudists (roommates, massage swap and practice buddies, co-working and coffee buddies).

What's your story? How did it all begin?

This topic was edited
RE:How Were You Introduced to Nudism?

Great story! Love it and your writing style is so easy. Wonderful introduction into nudity. Thank you for sharing.

This post was edited

When I was in high school, a close friend of mine had a backyard pool. We would swim nude in it when his parents weren't home. I enjoyed the feeling of being nude in and around the water. He later became a nudist and started going to nude beaches and joined a health club that had clothing optional male only hours. By that time I was married and lived in another town, so we talked about getting together at the beach or club, but never did.
I was nude a home from time to time once I got married. While I enjoyed it, I didn't do it often.
About 30 years ago, we bought a house with a pool. I started swimming nude after dark when the children were hopefully asleep. Around the same time, I started sleeping nude on a regular basis after a long transition of wearing less and less in bed. I also started going to the clothing optional beach when I went alone. One summer we sent our children to my parents for a week and took a staycation. While I couldn't be nude for the entire week. I didn't put clothes on most of the time.
When I retired, we put a privacy fence around the pool so I thought I could swim nude any time we didn't have company. While my opportunity for nude swimming increased it was more limited than I expected. First my son's girlfriend came to stay with us for 3 months and due to financial setbacks wound up staying 3 years, until they broke up. Second, his son from a prior relationship started spending most of the summer with us.
Also shortly after I retired, I got rid of all of my traditional business attire and underwear, and most of my business casual wardrobe and swimwear. I now have well less than half as much clothing as I did before I retired.
I am now nude at home most of the time when it is warm enough and we don't have company. It has gotten to the point that if my wife and I are home alone and it is warm, if she sees me wearing anything, she asks if I am, getting ready to go out. She is fine with me being nude much of the time, even though she rarely is herself.

This post was edited

Thanks for sharing your story!

This post was edited

Thanks for reading and offering feedback.

This post was edited

Thanks for sharing a well written and heartwarming story. As for me my intro started with skinny dipping as a young teen with neighborhood and school friends in the small family pool or at the summer lake cottage. This was also the 70s and some of teens did some short streaks 8nspured by the national fad

This post was edited

Congratulations on a well written story. I grew up on a farm in the Midwest. As a teenager, I just didn't like wearing clothing. So whenever I was working in the "back 40" I would strip down (except for work boots) and work on my all-over tan. When I started college, that stopped. Then came three years in the Army. After marriage in 1968, still little nudity. But in about 1985, we bought a water bed. For some reason, that incited me to sleep nude, and I've done so ever since. In 2012 we moved to AZ and I started being a house nudist. I wish I has done so 30 years ago. My next adventure is to visit the naturist resort just north of Phoenix and experience social nudity.

This post was edited

Great to read your excerpt!

This post was edited

Way to go, Arizona!

This post was edited

Many years ago, during a business trip to California I found myself standing on a cliff. 300 feet below were naked people. (At the time I didnt know anything about that nude beach, which turned out to be the famous Blacks Beach.) Curious about seeing more of that nude beach, I made my way down one of the paths. As one who had always been comfortable nude, it wasnt even a decision, I had to remove my clothes. After finding a somewhat secluded area back near the cliffs, I disrobed. Nudism had a convert.

When I returned to South Florida I began searching for the nearest nude beach. Since it was before the Internet, it wasnt easy. Eventually I found a copy of World Guide to Nude Beaches in a bookstore. It lead me to a few in the central part of the state.
Seven years after my conversion to nudism I started working from a home office. By then Haulover was legally nude and much closer than the central Florida nude beaches. I was there a couple times a month, adding to my nude beach habit.

Working in my home office, I wore walking shorts and a shirt. From being on the south side of the house and the computer equipment it would get very warm. (Back then a CRT monitor, laser printer, and a tower CPU all threw off lots of heat.) After a few months I decided to remove my shirt because of the heat. It took a while to get acclimated, but I was determined. After years of working in an office wearing a suit and tie, I found being comfortable while working was something I enjoyed. It wasnt much longer before I decided to try working without shorts, figuring more comfort would be more enjoyable. It was, and I was a newly minted home nudist.

This post was edited

Surfing as a kid, many years ago

This post was edited