Nostalgia

Nostalgic for the time when being naked in a locker room or shower was not a statement but just was normal. Just for the sake of comfort and convenience and the freedom from being self conscious, it was far superior to the state were in now . Now its interpreted, by the general gym population at least, as intentionally showing off or sexually titillating. Objectification and body shaming is the rule. Hearing young guys complain about seeing old fat bodies is embarrassing. Those who were in the military got comfortable fast. I wonder if too much sheltering and prosperity have contributed, who knows. But, We've devolved no doubt.

This topic was edited
RE:Nostalgia

Prosperity. That's an interesting thought. And yes, it's probably part of it. Suburbanization, small household size combined with larger houses - people don't much have to share space any more. Kids used to share rooms, share beds. Adults, too, in hotels. When I was growing up, at crowded family gatherings no one thought about taking a hotel room, though - couples would break up for the night, and the in the tiny house of the hosts, the men and boys would share one room and the women and girls the other. We indulge a really unique-in-history level of individualism with all this infrastructure.

This post was edited
RE:Nostalgia

I so agree, Luckily we still had showers in High School until my Junior year when they stopped requiring it , seems when the shame began. In the gyms now guys 50 and over seem comfortable naked and the under 50 seem to try to hide in the corner. It was for me a real guy bonding time, not sex time.

This post was edited