RE:should resorts require proof of vaccination before allowing entry ?

Speaking from the literal isolation of Hawaii.... We've just had a serious surge; you may have heard the the governor has again discouraged tourists from coming because our hospitals were full. About 70% of our adult population is vaccinated, and about 30% not, which is pretty typical. Of the hospitalizations, nine out of ten were among the UNvaccinated minority. They have between ten and thirty times the chance of getting really sick with the virus. An unvaccinated person, once exposed, is about five times as likely to spread the virus. They are basically sustaining the pandemic. A resort, or any other venue, can require vaccination, and assure its vaccinated customers of a higher degree of safety, thereby attracting more of the vaccinated, or it can let that go, accept a broader range of clients, and put them all at higher risk. As a business decision, probably kind of a tossup. The higher vaccination rates go, the better the business case for requiring the shot, at least as long as the virus remains in wide circulation, because they'll win more customers than they lose.

As a moral and social policy issue, there be dragons - a balancing of individual autonomy with the common good. (I have to confess I have little patience with an assertion of autonomy just for the hell of it, on general principle, in anyone past adolescence.)

This post was edited

It shouldnt have to get to the point of mandates or requirements but people whine that its a freedom issue when its really a health issue and public good. They are being handed free tools to help teach their body how to fight the virus and refusing. It makes no sense. At this point those that are refusing are now impacting my freedoms and rights by prolonging this mess so they have no business whining about their rights.

This post was edited

Agree totally.

There are two aspects to this:

1. If a resort is private property, the people who own it can set the rules. If they want to make vaccination a requirement, it's their call.

2. What's more, if I were the owner of the resort, it would be my duty to protect my guests from harm, just as it would be my duty to make sure that my house didn't have any dangers that could harm them. One of those obligations would be to make sure that my guests are in as healthy an environment as I can make it. If that means vaccine stipulations, so be it.

This post was edited

It is good to read others comments of truth , reason and common sense that serves the interest of the majority that put others ahead of themselves .. those that step outside their comfort zone to facilitate more safety for others and family with faith in science and logic.. Hopefully more will read some of the responses here and step forward instead of being a Typhoid Mary for the Covid -19

This post was edited

Yes.

Who wants to sit next to a flat earthier while on holiday?

This post was edited

Definitely yes.

Much like public schools requiring kids to have vaccinations (like MMR, etc., and hopefully also COVID-19), resorts should, too.

For those who are bent out of shape about having "freedom" taken away, do you wear a seatbelt? Take money from banks? Randomly punch people in the face? No. You follow the laws. It's not really much different - though in this instance, being vaccinated can literally save your own, and others' lives.

This post was edited

This site is only available to users 18 and over and we use cookies

We use cookies for functionality, social media, and google analytics. To view our cookie policy please view Our Cookie Policy