My Ideal Sailboat.

I am thinking about parting with my old 19 foot day sailor and moving up to a 20 or 25 foot boat. The Alerion 20 or 28 would be fantastic but I need a shoal draft and it looks like only the 28 has it available and it's a wee bit pricey. I dont need much of a cabin as it will primarily be used a day sailor. Any ideas would be welcome.

This topic was edited
RE:My Ideal Sailboat.

I have a Catalina 22. Draws 30 with a wing keel. They make swing keel models but I dont like the moving parts. They made 15,000 of them and can be had for2-6k.

I tell people to get the best most expensive one and just get our sailing and soaking up the rays. No fun sitting at the dock doing repairs .

I have 2. On in FL and one in CT.

This post was edited

I have a Catalina 22. Draws 30 with a wing keel. They make swing keel models but I dont like the moving parts. They made 15,000 of them and can be had for2-6k.

I tell people to get the best most expensive one and just get our sailing and soaking up the rays. No fun sitting at the dock doing repairs .

This post was edited

This post was edited

Ill check the Catalina out, thanks. I havent been in the boat market for decades so time to catch up.

This post was edited

I have a Catalina 22 also. It is worth nothing the Catalina 22 is a jack of all trades, master of none. you can find a lot of boats that are better at one thing in this size range but they are limited. For example a J22 is faster, a capri 22 is better day sailor, a potter 19 trailers better. But you are not going to find the cabin room of a Catalina 22 in any of them. An Oday 23 will be better for overnight but will not sail as good as 22 nor carry as many people for day sailing.

That being said i like my 22 i can do what ever I want. But be aware a lot of people will hate on it because it isnt the best at anything.

This post was edited

They have made over 15,000 and still in production today so they must be doing something right. What year is yours? mine are 92 and 93.

This post was edited

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/catalina-22
Love the design for a trailer sailor. I would do the swing keel as the number are better and would be easier to haul around.

This post was edited

we started with a Catalina 22... great boat, we just out grew it with a growing family. A lot of boat for the money. I sold it after 4 yrs of using it for the same amount I paid for it! We moved up the Catalina line to a 30, then a 36. I loved the 36, easy to single hand and comfortable for the family. I have moved up to the Beneteau now... it is like going from a Chevy to a Cadillac (also helps that it is 15 yrs newer than my 36 was ..lol)

This post was edited

I'm a power boater but a member of a yacht club with a long sailing heritage. I really enjoy going out on others boats and serve as Committee Boat for our several races/regattas. Anything that gets us out on the water is a good thing.

This post was edited

There is nothing more peaceful than sailing nude with a light breeze.

This post was edited

This site is only available to users 18 and over and we use cookies

We use cookies for functionality, social media, and google analytics. To view our cookie policy please view Our Cookie Policy