RE:How many are packing?

to the anti gunners, i say there is a diference between scared and prepared. civilized world and places still have vile evil people. That prey on the unprepared . Our safety and protection is a dime short and woefully late calling the police. Now the same Anti gun fanatics want to defund police, shackling them even more!

This post was edited

to the anti gunners, i say there is a diference between scared and prepared. civilized world and places still have vile evil people. That prey on the unprepared . Our safety and protection is a dime short and woefully late calling the police. Now the same Anti gun fanatics want to defund police, shackling them even more!

Im not an anti gunner as you call them. I do not own a gun and do not see a point in owning one (in the environment which we live). But, I do enjoy shooting at a gun range and trap shooting when invited. I also know some, including our son, that are into duck hunting. I do not take issue with any of that. However, again taken from the environment which we live, prepared as you say is scared. In all my 57 the only time where guns have come into a non recreational situation is when the police pulled me over one night at gunpoint for stealing a carmy car! Five units pulled me over with guns pulled, shotgun got cocked (Ill never forget that sound), cuffed me etc. About a half an hour later they apologized and let me go. Apparently some idiot hadnt updated the database when our car was recovered after being stolen from our driveway eight months earlier. Otherwise weve had tools take pin from our garage and the car stolen and taken for a joyride, it had been left unlocked in the driveway. I also do not know a single person that has had an event where they either wished they had a gun, wished they couldve gotten to their gun or a gun wouldve made the situation better. But I do know of an instance where guns in the house was used in a suicide and another in an accidental death. Odds seem better to me not having one.

This post was edited

Odds seem better to me not having one.

We had a local crime wave a few years ago - a gang moved to our island from Honolulu, doing robberies and burglaries and car thefts - that led to a big meeting in a school cafeteria one evening, hosted by the mayor and police chief. Someone asked about self-defense. The mayor said that while he was at the meeting his wife and family were home alone, and their family decision was not to have a gun in the home, for exactly that reason - they're safer without one.

My dad, in his 90's and using a walker, found himself isolated in front of the TV, watching a lot of negative opinion stuff, and bought himself a gun. He stashed it in the bottom of a closet, where he hobbled over to show it to me. There was no way he would ever be able to use it; if he tried, it would have simply been taken away from him and maybe used against him. And he knew it. But he bought the gun anyway. Absent any practical argument, it was a symbol.

This post was edited

to the anti gunners, i say there is a diference between scared and prepared. civilized world and places still have vile evil people. That prey on the unprepared . Our safety and protection is a dime short and woefully late calling the police. Now the same Anti gun fanatics want to defund police, shackling them even more!Im not an anti gunner as you call them. I do not own a gun and do not see a point in owning one (in the environment which we live). But, I do enjoy shooting at a gun range and trap shooting when invited. I also know some, including our son, that are into duck hunting. I do not take issue with any of that. However, again taken from the environment which we live, prepared as you say is scared. In all my 57 the only time where guns have come into a non recreational situation is when the police pulled me over one night at gunpoint for stealing a carmy car! Five units pulled me over with guns pulled, shotgun got cocked (Ill never forget that sound), cuffed me etc. About a half an hour later they apologized and let me go. Apparently some idiot hadnt updated the database when our car was recovered after being stolen from our driveway eight months earlier. Otherwise weve had tools take pin from our garage and the car stolen and taken for a joyride, it had been left unlocked in the driveway. I also do not know a single person that has had an event where they either wished they had a gun, wished they couldve gotten to their gun or a gun wouldve made the situation better. But I do know of an instance where guns in the house was used in a suicide and another in an accidental death. Odds seem better to me not having one.

I'm almost 63. Back in the 70s and in Texas it was legal to carry a firearm in your car if you were traveling or carrying money, which I did for the retail store that I managed. I carried and fortunately never had to use it.

I joined the Navy in 1980. My wife traveled from Texas to Florida where I was stationed at the time. She was pregnant with my 1st daughter. She had the revolver with her. Two guys in a van tried to force her off the road, she rolled down the window and brandished the revolver, they disappeared. Maybe the gators in LA got them, who knows, but that revolver probably saved her life and my unborn daughters, but then again, who knows, the crime didn't happen.

When I lived in Maryland, it was impossible to get a concealed carry permit. I often had to go to the bad areas of DC and Baltimore for work. I carried anyway, better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

I am also a combat veteran, been there, done that. I don't want to have to kill anyone.

When I moved to NC the first thing I did was get my CHP. I am not paranoid. I have just seen the elephant. Now, the fact that I don't live with my head in my phone, and I look people in the eye, especially those of suspicious nature, lets them know that I am aware of my surroundings. A 100 pound girl with her head up and paying attention to what is around her is safer than a six foot three 250 pound guy with his head up his ass as he walks down the street living in his phone. A criminal will avoid her, and knock his ass out.

Having said that, I carry a Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II in .45ACP and my lovely wife caries a Ruger SP-101 in .357 magnum. Neither of us expects to ever have to use them. But there are stupid criminals out there. I reference the two thugs trying to attack my wife in 1980.

Your mileage may vary...

This post was edited

I dont carry a weapon usually but do try to have a very stout walking staff. Its usually about 6 feet long and about 2 inches at the large end. I think it would discourage most critters except for a bear.

That is a very good option if you know how to use it.

This post was edited