YWCA , same or different?

I'm of the age that grew up going to the YMCA for nude swims with the boy scouts both as a boy and as a leader. It was just the natural thing to do. No one thought anything of it parents even encouraged it. We even had swimming lessons and swim meats during the lessons where parents were invited to attend, MOMs and dads both, and we were still nude. No one thought anything of it. But, my question is, did the YWCA operate the same way. Did the young women have to swim nude for everything also? I have never heard one way or the other. It would make since that they did. As I understand the reason for swimming nude was because of the material used in swim wear at the time and the problems that it caused with the filter system in the pool. Wouldn't the swim wear that the girls and women wore create the same problems?

As I was typing this another thought jumped into my mind. All the threads on here about nudity and God. These organizations, YMCA and YWCA were supposedly Christian organizations, and they not only promoted nudity, but required it. Just a thought.

Oops, should have looked at the media. I notice several old pictures showing naked male swimmers and the ladies with bathing suits. Now I'm wondering why the double standard? Why was it necessary for the men and boy swimmers to be naked but not the ladies and girls?

This topic was edited
RE:YWCA , same or different?

someone should go and white-out the no longer!

This post was edited

My local Y has a sign that says, "Cleanliness and healthy practices are due reverence to God." Nude swimming no longer allowed.

Nude swimming was required because it was considered unhealthful, unhygienic, and unsanitary for males to swim with any sort of clothing on.

"Cleanliness and health practices."

When men and boys went swimming in a lake or river, they did NOT wear clothing. Several Presidents swam nude in the Potomac. Visiting dignitaries swam nude with them.

This post was edited

Mensasnem, I understand the reasoning behind the requirement that men and boys swim nude was more along the line of the type of material that was used to make bathing suits and problems with the filtration systems of pools in those days. My question then was, why weren't the same requirements enforced at the YWCA? Were the ladies and girls bathing suits made of a different material, or the pools filtration system different?

Why, in your theory are male bodies more unhealthy or, unhygienic then the female body?

This post was edited

Female modesty trumped the issue of keeping pool filters from getting clogged by swimwear fibers, even though females swimsuits had more fabric than male swimsuits.

This post was edited

These pages should give you a good look at how the idea worked. It was a confusing period. It wasn't universal across the U.S. and it wasn't necessarily appreciated by all kids. Some really didn't like being forced to be naked regardless of circumstances. When I was a teen, I would have been mortified and a bit pissed to be required to prance around naked without a choice and have to "present" myself to whoever happened to be there. It would not have been positive.

https://www.wbez.org/stories/baring-it-all-why-boys-swam-naked-in-chicago-high-schools/c9a3a9e2-6ae3-404b-80e5-0c4bf4d5a0be

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/news/local/columnists/andreatta/2017/09/22/andreatta-when-boys-swam-nude-gym-class/694542001/

https://apnews.com/article/61c3ab126cdb41e9ab07466e54b2dd94

https://sites.google.com/site/historicarchives4maleswimming/home

This post was edited

Here is an anecdote about our boys nude swim classes in junior high school and senior high school. When we had Red Cross safety classes for two weeks we had to wear regulation blue Speedos. Once those classes were over we were given the opportunity to continue wearing them for swim class. Two or three boys wore them for the first few days after the safety classes. They went back to nude within a few days.

This post was edited

PLEASE, YMCA bring back nude swims for males of all ages! Would be nice also, if males could do their workouts nude too, just carrying a towel around to sit on when using equipment.

This post was edited

PLEASE, YMCA bring back nude swims for males of all ages! Would be nice also, if males could do their workouts nude too, just carrying a towel around to sit on when using equipment.

I wholeheartedly agree.

This post was edited

I don't know much about the YWCA. I have seen old pictures and the girls were all wearing a swimsuit. The boys and men were nude. I remember the high school I went to in the 60's and 70's had a full size swimming pool and the guys swim class swam nude while the girls swam in a one piece. It might have to do with the problem girls have once a month. The guys swim team wore a small Speedo bikini while the girls again wore a one piece. The Y where I live has separated boys and men's locker rooms, same for the girls and women. There is a sign as you go into the locker room that has rules of conduct. One of the rules is to not be nude in the locker room. Yes, I said no nudity in the LOCKER room except the shower area. I don't know how you are suppose to go in and change into your gym clothes and then change back into the street clothes without being naked for at least a few minutes. Odd place the Y is. No nude swimming and no nudity in the locker room. YMCA stands for Young Men's Christian Association. Back when it was christian based nudity was allowed. Now a days it is a secular organization and nudity is forbidden. Go figure. Do different Y's have different rules?

This post was edited

I don't know much about the YWCA. I have seen old pictures and the girls were all wearing a swimsuit. The boys and men were nude. I remember the high school I went to in the 60's and 70's had a full size swimming pool and the guys swim class swam nude while the girls swam in a one piece. It might have to do with the problem girls have once a month. The guys swim team wore a small Speedo bikini while the girls again wore a one piece. The Y where I live has separated boys and men's locker rooms, same for the girls and women. There is a sign as you go into the locker room that has rules of conduct. One of the rules is to not be nude in the locker room. Yes, I said no nudity in the LOCKER room except the shower area. I don't know how you are suppose to go in and change into your gym clothes and then change back into the street clothes without being naked for at least a few minutes. Odd place the Y is. No nude swimming and no nudity in the locker room. YMCA stands for Young Men's Christian Association. Back when it was christian based nudity was allowed. Now a days it is a secular organization and nudity is forbidden. Go figure. Do different Y's have different rules?

I believe they do for the locker room.

This post was edited

This site is only available to users 18 and over and we use cookies

We use cookies for functionality, social media, and google analytics. To view our cookie policy please view Our Cookie Policy