Best day/worst day

So, i have decided to sell my sailboat. Unfortunately my kids decided sailing is no fun. My 15 year old Dad its so slow!!! I just want hang out with my friends!!! My 8 used to like it because we let him fish or pull toys behind the boat. But I think his big sister has gotten to him. My wife likes it, but if kids dont go, someone has to stay home. So i am on my own. I am thinking of going down to a 15ft day sailor. Kids want me to get a boat that goes fast. Anyway curious if anyone here has had success with sailing and teenagers.

This topic was edited
RE:Best day/worst day

I have always had power boats but I experienced the same thing. They wanted to go until they got to high school. Then they didnt. But it wasnt just boating, it applied to everything. In their 20s it reverted, they wanted to go again and bring their partying friends. I didnt want that. If I was going to bring friends, I wanted my friends not their loud inconsiderate user ingrates. So now we go by ourselves and hope to find others like us to camp near but not to close. Its funny, boats shrink when you get them wet. You can have a big boat when its on the trailer but get it in the water and space is suddenly small. Good luck.

This post was edited

Hello same deal here, kids got older the only way to keep them hanging around was to get a ski boat , fast and sexy. Never wondered where the kids were again on the weekends for 5 years. lose the sailing i know it hurts but to keep your kids interested getting something fast work

Thats is great idea. We have rented ski boats for birthdays and family trips. I liked it, not as much as sailing. Sailing is relaxing, ski boots are fun. But kids did have a blast. And it would be a way to help my daughter and I relationship. She still likes me but we dont have much in common anymore. And spending time with dad doesnt fit in her schedule anymore. But taking her and her friends out on the lake for an afternoon would be good.

Thanks probably best parenting advice I have had in a while.

This post was edited

Well, I don't have kids, but I started sailing when I was a teen and have been sailing ever since. I always enjoyed it though.

This post was edited

In your neck of the woods I would agree with the others. Get a ski boat. Learn to love obnoxious loud music and be your kids friends again.
And then you and the miss join me on a nudist sailing trip in the keys or beyond. More fun, relaxing and real ocean sailing. Throw in some diving and a beach bar and you wont miss sailing on the lakes any longer

This post was edited

Ive had boats for almost 30 yrs now. The kids would complain about most our summer vacations were on the boat in Catalina. I got my sons into sailing with lessons and I bought each one of them a sabot of their own. They started racing them against other kids. I ended up taking a sabot and extra dinghy to the Catalina. Our daughter had no interest (at least outward) in sailing except to bring her friends to Catalina with us. All the kids friends were well behaved and listened to classic rock while my wife and I were around my kids went water skiing and jet skiing with friends and other family members and saw the dark side of boating. Fast forward now that they are in their 30s they still go day sailing and to Catalina with us. It has been a great family bonding experience that I wouldnt trade for anything. By they way when they were young we did not allow electronics on the boat. It was books and games only

This post was edited

Keep the slower boat because you enjoy it. Get a couple Sea-Doos for the kids. That is what my sister did at their lake property. They added a second cabin when the kids got bigger, too.

This post was edited

Ive had boats for almost 30 yrs now. The kids would complain about most our summer vacations were on the boat in Catalina. I got my sons into sailing with lessons and I bought each one of them a sabot of their own. They started racing them against other kids. I ended up taking a sabot and extra dinghy to the Catalina. Our daughter had no interest (at least outward) in sailing except to bring her friends to Catalina with us. All the kids friends were well behaved and listened to classic rock while my wife and I were around my kids went water skiing and jet skiing with friends and other family members and saw the dark side of boating. Fast forward now that they are in their 30s they still go day sailing and to Catalina with us. It has been a great family bonding experience that I wouldnt trade for anything. By they way when they were young we did not allow electronics on the boat. It was books and games only

I grew up going to Catalina and lake powel. Dad had a cabin cruiser. We would go to Lake Powell when we lived in Utah, then we moved to California and it was Catalina with occasional trips to lake Mojave. When Gas started to go up he got ride of the power boat and now has a sailboat. But i am back in Utah. So occasionally I take my kids to Catalina. I Usually make 1 or 2 trips to the island in a year.

A power boat is easier to trailer and launch. And kids friends are excited to come. Wake boarding and tubing is fun. The kids like Catalina, but that is a big trip for us. Sailing for the sake of sailing, no destination, is not fun for them.

This post was edited

This site is only available to users 18 and over and we use cookies

We use cookies for functionality, social media, and google analytics. To view our cookie policy please view Our Cookie Policy