Churchill and Roosevelt

I just finished reading The Splendid and the Vile by Erik Larson, one of my favorite authors. The book told the in-depth story of Winston Churchill and his family during the early days of WW2. Larson is very good at sharing the untold stories of famous eras of history, often with humorous tidbits otherwise would be lost to history.

Churchill sailed the Atlantic on a British battleship and visited Roosevelt in the White House in late 1941. Late one night with only his right hand man with him, Winston heard a knock on the door. His valet, as instructed opened the door to find Roosevelt in his wheelchair alone in the hall. Winston urged the President to enter despite the fact he was stark naked , a drink in one hand and cigar in another. Per the valet, Franklin did an odd shrug and wheeled himself in. Winston said " You see Mr President, I have nothing to hide" They went on to have an hour long conversation with Winston never dressing.

Back in England Churchill routinely conducted business with his numerous aides while soaking in one of his two daily baths.

This topic was edited
RE:Churchill and Roosevelt

I enjoy Larson's books as well. When I read The Magnificent and the Vile a couple of months ago, I read that very passage to my wife and told her that if Churchill could hang out naked with Roosevelt, she shouldn't have a problem with me being naked when my friend visits, to which she replied that although she loves me and has no qualms about me being nude around the house, I was no Churchill!
I really enjoyed the Devil in the White City (I'm a fan of Burnham's work) and am currently reading Thunderstruck which is about Marconi. For some reason, even though interesting, I don't find it as compelling as the other two.

This post was edited

, I was no Churchill! LOL sort of like Lloyd Benson to Dan Quayle?

I really enjoyed the Devil in the White City (I'm a fan of Burnham's work) and am currently reading Thunderstruck which is about Marconi. For some reason, even though interesting, I don't find it as compelling as the other two.

I very much enjoyed the Devil in the White City . I also enjoyed In the Garden of the Beast which profiled the American Ambassador to 1930s Germany ( his daughter was a slut) Dead Wake about the sinking of the Lusitania and Isaac's Storm about the 1900 Galveston Hurricane are very good too. Thunderstruck and Lethal Passage were the 2 that i least enjoyed.

Have you read The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown?

This post was edited

Looking forward to reading Dead Wake, have a copy and will get to it soon. No, haven't read the Boys in the Boat, seems interesting. Will put it on my list.

This post was edited

I've read all of Larsen's books. Enjoyed every one

This post was edited

This site is only available to users 18 and over and we use cookies

We use cookies for functionality, social media, and google analytics. To view our cookie policy please view Our Cookie Policy