N/A sexuality choice doesnt mean indecisive.

For many men on this site it seems the N/A sexuality "label" on here is quite apt if one reject the worlds sexuality label system. Who agrees?

This topic was edited
RE:N/A sexuality choice doesnt mean indecisive.

Why labels? They're practical for goods in the grocery store: ingredients, nutritional value, expiration date. How do labels serve people? By putting them in convenient categories that serve others. Think of race. Why try to belong to the eurononhispanic or afro race rather than just being human? A wide array of sexual behaviors has always existed in human history, but it wasn't until the industrial revolution that prefixed sexuality became and accepted practice. It's served its purpose already and we can go back to accepting that people are sexual - defined by nature and nurture and responding to needs and the environment. It's a much more dynamic model than checking off another box.

This post was edited

Thank you, thank you; so what if somebody were indecisive? so what if their gay/bi/straight/N/A says anything, and to whom, the reader or the owner?
My dear "unlabeled friends" let's be as naked as we want to be.

(Naked)Harry

This post was edited

My dear "unlabeled friends" let's be as naked as we want to be. (Naked)Harry

By all means! Labels can be helpful in finding people with similarities to us. Like clothes, we can wear them when and as needed. Think of it in terms of ethnicity. I went to a party and met an African-American and complimented him on his African headdress. He totally rocked the look. I would feel silly trying that. So when I travel to Scandinavia where my parents emigrated from, I'll be like a kid and amazed how similar people look to me and love it. Give me more meatballs. But when those with an African vs. a Nordic label are supposed to have different allegiances and views, and politicians exploit fears and biases, I'll head for the exit.
Labels, like clothes are great when they serve the wearer more than the observer.

This post was edited

For me folk are just folk.

If you say sexuality is not applicable on your profile thats absolutely fine by me.

If someones profile then goes on to state that they is only interested in men and only want to associate with men then that person male or female has said what their sexuality is even though they didnt check a box. Thats also fine with me, I dont care one way or the other.

This post was edited

I am married and have fathered 6 children. My sexual interests are clear.

However, when I am hanging out naked to enjoy some comaraderie, I am not looking to have sex. Therefore, the sexual interests of who I am hanging out with is irrelevant to me.

Therefore, if someone wants to hang out with me, and he is gay, bi, etc. it does not matter.

In fact, I am starting to find that one of the kindest things I can do is hang out with one or more guys, some of who are gay, and some are straigh, and all of us naked and enjoying comaraderie. The gay guys develop a sense of acceptance they really value. The straight guys are less defensive and afraid of their own arousal at times. If I state my orientation, I am afraid, it would be harder to hang out with the mixed group.

This post was edited

I don't think anyone said it has to mean in decisive.
It can mean they just don't feel like sharing the info.
It can mean they reject the gender binary.
It can mean they don't like labels.

At the end of the day, it means they picked N/A from a dropdown box and there's no real need to overthink it.

This post was edited

I love the way Andy describes sexual labels. They are really as often misleading as they are useful. Does N/A mean that one prefers not to disclose or that one is asexual, or not available sexually for some reason. Does straight mean primarily heterosexual or strictly heterosexual ?

This post was edited

I love the way Andy describes sexual labels. They are really as often misleading as they are useful. Does N/A mean that one prefers not to disclose or that one is asexual, or not available sexually for some reason. Does straight mean primarily heterosexual or strictly heterosexual ?

This post was edited

Excellent points.

This post was edited

The things they choose to feature as identifiers are really rather strange for a social site. Weight? Income level? I belong to another site where they ask the same basic set of questions (well, not income) and put into the profile only those you choose to answer. Which is much more like real life. You might introduce yourself as "Hi, I'm Xork. I'm a software engineer from Philadelphia" but never "Hi. I'm a software engineer, and I'm not going to mention my sexuality, and I'm from Philadelphia, and I'm not going to tell you how much money I make." All "N/A" means is that you didn't answer the question. It's not an identity.

This post was edited