Naked Selfies

It appears that most of us here have taken naked selfies of ourselves to use as our profile photos. Has doing so helped define who you are as a person? If so, how?

This topic was edited
RE:Naked Selfies

For me, its actually been a gradual process over several years. First being totally afraid to do so. Then only privately and very selectively. Now more public but within the confines of this community. Doing so has given me more self-confidence about my physical appearance. Its self acceptance with the support of others. I also have fun doing so! Being creative with my images!

This post was edited

I guess my profile pic is a reflection of me. I prefer to not show my face here in return for being more open in my comments. I also was not inclined to ask anyone to help get a snap! That and the fact I love the classic Max Dupain photo Sunbather led to a shot inspired by that classic but as a selfie. If I was to ask for someone to hold the camera I'd go for a shot closer to the original, just with enough elevation to show the absence of a swimsuit.

As it is, it's fine. When at the beach I'm more into just enjoying my time there than getting photographs. If I have my phone, I'm more likely to be using it to read TN posts while working on my Tan!

This post was edited

I wouldn't say it has defined who I am, but it does seem to be helping me with my acceptance of me as I am and as a person, not what my body looks like. I'm not there yet as every picture i have, I find reasons not to post them. The one on my profile mad the cut simply because the guitar helped me feel a bit more comfortable. I'm getting there.

This post was edited

This is a really interesting question - how do you/we define ourselves as a person? Is there a way for one selfie to capture all that we see ourselves as being? maybe there is an essence that can be captured by some clever photographers but could it ever be enough to define the complex being that you are? Maybe the question we might consider is - does it reflect who you see yourself as being? and is it consistent with who you are in other parts of your life? for me, the key is in integrating rather than compartmentalizing, I have worked hard to free myself of the fear of others knowing I enjoy being naked and just allow myself to be who I authentically am so long as I'm not being offensive or causing others suffering...??

This post was edited

Absolutely. Five years ago when I joined TN I had never taken a selfie let alone knew how. As I progressed through a variety of photo taking equipment and a lot of really bad photos I began to get a feeling for what I liked best. Since it is exceptionally hard to find a "photo" partner one does learn to use the self timer. After studying other photo's on TN I have come to learn what seems to look best in a nude photo for me. As I look back on this journey I have discovered a lot about myself being a nudist, how much I enjoy it and realized that the photo's had a lot to do with it.
Thank goodness for technology!

This post was edited

RosewoodXIX and Bucknudie thank you so much for sharing, what great posts! It is very reassuring for others to hear that they're not the only ones to enjoy taking nude selfies (myself included!) or that others are also using it for self-acceptance. For me it has been a form of therapy for sure, healing me from trauma but also more generally helping me free myself. I definitely am more open and more gentle with everyone I meet since acknowledging and openly sharing my nudity. And I've met such beautiful nude people! Not sure if nudism changes us or it attracts a certain type of person, probably both...!

This post was edited

And I've met such beautiful nude people! Not sure if nudism changes us or it attracts a certain type of person, probably both...!

I agree Simone, On the very few occasions I have been able to interact in person with groups of nudists at resorts I was amazed at the friendly genuine atmosphere of the participants. There is something about being with other nudists face to face that relaxes my soul. I do however feel there are many types that it attracts. I have found the online group to be a bit sketchy, most likely due to the fact they have never been able to enjoy total freedom outside with others due to their personal concerns, judgments or ideas on conformity. Maybe they should take more selfies!!

This post was edited

I have used a drawing of myself as a profile picture, as it has some expression yet provides ananominity. I have taken some nude selfies, but without my face, as I was cautious about them falling into the wrong hands. I feel this group with the member only access to media is going to be a place I will feel secure to post nude selfies of my entire body.

This post was edited

It appears that most of us here have taken naked selfies of ourselves to use as our profile photos. Has doing so helped define who you are as a person? If so, how?

I don't think it helped define me as much as it helped me understand who I am. When I first joined TN I took a lot of selfies and posted them to my profile as a sort of attempt to prove my status as a "true nudist". Some of those are still on my profile today. Eventually, though, I stopped taking selfies just to be taking them. I migrated from photos that showed me nude to photos that had some other point to them in which I just happened to be nude. I guess that a good way to express this is that life is multidimensional, and I want my photos to show as many of those dimensions as possible.

This post was edited

I like that multidimensional aspect. I still don't really have the art of taking selfies as one of those dimensional aspects, so documenting the others trends to suffer.

Today it would have involved kayaking and walking a shoreline in solitude. But I left my phone behind, so you'll just have to use your imagination! :-)

This post was edited