Outdoor Cooking of Necessity

We have been having some extensive remodeling to our kitchen and master bathroom so at the moment we don't have any water or cooking device in our kitchen area. All the cabinets are also gone so we have had to get creative about alternatives.

We have a deep sink in the laundry area so that has solved the water issue, that and an outside faucet hooked up to a portable fish cleaning station, lol. We have obviously gotten a lot of use out of our propane grill and even more after adding a cast iron griddle that heats from the grill burners. One of the best cookers, though, has been a product called FireDisc. It is a lot like the old farm disc that we cook on at deer camp but a bit smaller, nicer, and with a 36" height it is more comfortable to use. I have cooked a lot on it but the real standout is chorizo and eggs at which it excels. Hope to get some photos up if anyone is interested.

This topic was edited
RE:Outdoor Cooking of Necessity

by all means post the pictures !! we know what a huge job remodeling can be we went through the same thing about 4 years ago , we did the work ourselves and did most of the work nude and that at least made the work more enjoyable plus it was fun washing each other after the day was done ...lol

This post was edited

We have been having some extensive remodeling to our kitchen and master bathroom so at the moment we don't have any water or cooking device in our kitchen area. All the cabinets are also gone so we have had to get creative about alternatives.We have a deep sink in the laundry area so that has solved the water issue, that and an outside faucet hooked up to a portable fish cleaning station, lol. We have obviously gotten a lot of use out of our propane grill and even more after adding a cast iron griddle that heats from the grill burners. One of the best cookers, though, has been a product called FireDisc. It is a lot like the old farm disc that we cook on at deer camp but a bit smaller, nicer, and with a 36" height it is more comfortable to use. I have cooked a lot on it but the real standout is chorizo and eggs at which it excels. Hope to get some photos up if anyone is interested.

I've seen the Fire Disc and the Skottle. I keep flip flopping back and forth to which one I want to buy for our off roading group. I like the higher edges of the Fire Disc, it's like a very large frying pan. The Skottle is more like a wok. Have you ever tried the Skottle? What made you go with the Fire Disc?

This post was edited

I haven't seen anything about the skottle so can't really comment on it. We have been using a large disc from a piece of farm equipment at the deer camp for several years and really liked it. When I saw the FireDisc it looked like a smaller version of that so I was immediately interested. I also liked the availability of the 36" frame which lets me cook standing up instead of bent over or squatting. It didn't hurt that they were/are selling last year's model at half price. I ended up buying one for here at the house and another to take to our second home so don't have to carry one back and forth. That is just my preference as the unit is quite portable and both quick and easy to put up/take down.

It does have high sides which are useful in several ways and does have a concave bottom. It isn't as curved as a wok but definitely dish shaped. I recommend using their tools, such as spatula, which are built to the same curvature as the disc itself. With the accessory hose it can use either 1 lb propane bottles or the larger tanks of any size.

This post was edited

Couple of pics of the Skottle. I like the way it compacts and has adjustable leg lengths. You can buy a lid but because so many off roaders are buying these for Overlanding, the price is outrageous. 4-450 depending on where you buy it. Crazy expensive. That may sway my decision on the Skottle or the Fire Disc. Fire Disc seem to be about $100 less!

This post was edited

until this post i had never heard of these things mmmm might need to look into them !!

This post was edited

This site is only available to users 18 and over and we use cookies

We use cookies for functionality, social media, and google analytics. To view our cookie policy please view Our Cookie Policy