Do you feel comfortable being the only black person in a nude space?

Personally, it's not a problem for me, but I'm curious how other people feel.

I sometimes wonder if part of the reason I don't see other black people at resorts is that they feel uncomfortable being so greatly outnumbered.

I suppose if this is the case, the easiest solution would be to go with a group of black people (though to my knowledge, none of my black friends are nudists).

I'm also just fairly used to being the only black person in a group, nude or clothed, so that might be why I don't have a problem with it.

This topic was edited
RE:Do you feel comfortable being the only black person in a nude space?

For the most part it depends on the space itself.

Statistically I know the odds of there being multiple POC is going to be low, again depending on the place. But my comfort level also depends on how welcoming the space is to people in general, including POC.

One of my first experiences at a nude resort was with a friend who lived there at the time. We'd gone out sailing earlier and my friend invited me to spend some time at the resort once we returned. As I was leaving, security on a golf cart approached me and started asking lots of questions, claimed they'd had reports of someone "matching my description" looking in peoples' windows, etc. Fortunately my friend happened to notice that security had stopped me from his window and came out to find out what was happening. He of course explained that I was his guest, that I'd been in his presence the whole time, where we'd been on the property, and therefore I couldn't have been the person "matching my description". It was also fortunate that my friend is a lawyer. When security tried to explain their actions as an excuse, my friend explained MY rights in the situation, got the security person's name and indicated he'd be following up with management the next day and the actions he'd take if not satisfied with the response. (Yet another friend, who's also a POC, told me about a similar incident where he drove up to the gate, explained he was an invited guest of a resident, gave the person's name and contact information, but was still asked to go through the back entrance where deliveries were usually made.)

Although I did go to the resort a couple of other times with my friend and other mutual friend who lived on the property, I didn't become a member nor have I been back in several years.

I DID however become a member of an adjacent resort. They often had events like nude 5k runs that were partially opened to the public. After attending a few of these events I decided to become a member. As part of the application process they asked for references and I was both happy and proud to put down the names of other male (Caucasian) couples who were members and one that lived on the property.

I did have two incidents though. The first was while I was spending the day on the property. I took my tablet and an (early model) MP3 player. Half way through the day, one of the guests by the pool came over to ask me what I was doing. They'd noticed me "fiddling with a device" and was concerned I might be taking pictures. The "device" was the MP3 player which wasn't as good at loading songs I liked or playlists like newer devices, so I was spending a lot of time fiddling with the device to skip songs I didn't like. When they also noticed my tablet I was able to show them that, although it did have a rear facing camera, the case it was in covered it so there was no way to take pictures without removing it from the case. I was actually pleased that another resident / guest was cautious enough to make sure others weren't violating the rules about picture taking both for their privacy as well as mine. And the person approached me in a respectful manner without making unfounded accusations.

The second incident didn't even involve me, but rather how an adjacent member of the staff responded that pleased me. When I arrived one day I overheard that management DID have to eject someone from the property who "matched my description". In one of the overheard conversations, the husband of the female bartender vouched for me by explaining to other guests that he knew me, I wasn't the person who'd been ejected earlier and that I was "good people". That made me "comfortable" being the only POC there that day.

This post was edited

That's a good point. I haven't really had any bad experiences in the past, so I don't really expect any which likely affects my comfort level.

Part of the reason I'm curious about this is that I wonder if there's some reason I don't see many other black people in nudist spaces.

This post was edited

For the most part it depends on the space itself.

This is a very good point comfort level is very much about context and individual experiences and cannot easily be generalized. I have been in a very of naturist spaces where I have been the only person of color some have felt comfortable others have not.
I am a member at a club and just went to open my trailer for the season and was warmly greeted by several people. When I started going there many years ago before I was a member it didnt always feel comfortable. But as people got to know me and I them that has evolved. There are still certain individuals who I dont feel comfortable around but others who have a great deal of comfort with.

That being said the amount of people of color who visit and are members have grown over the years

This post was edited

I DID however become a member of an adjacent resort. They often had events like nude 5k runs that were partially opened to the public. After attending a few of these events I decided to become a member. As part of the application process they asked for references and I was both happy and proud to put down the names of other male (Caucasian) couples who were members and one that lived on the property..

Where did you become a member if you dont mind me asking?

This post was edited

Like a couple of you I am use to being the only black person in many situations, so at nudist clubs its not a big deal. I have been a member of a resort close to my home for about 8 years. I tend to keep to myself for the most part but have also talked with many friendly people. I have made friends with another black guy and we try to coordinate visits. I do see other people of color but in the grand scheme of things it is just a handful. I just assume that poc take the stance that we dont do that. On another note the club I belong too has a new manager who happens to be black.

This post was edited

I have gotten so used to be either the only one or one of few that are at the resorts. I either get people trying to be very nice to and asking me why more people of color don't come to resorts. The others will be people that want to get close to me trying to make sexual advances. I am comfortable though just chilling as they watch me and check me out. I am not someone with a muscular body or in the best of shape, but I know I enjoy feeling the sun on all parts of my body.

This post was edited

Like a couple of you I am use to being the only black person in many situations, so at nudist clubs its not a big deal. I have been a member of a resort close to my home for about 8 years. I tend to keep to myself for the most part but have also talked with many friendly people.
I used to be the same but over time became more and more connected in my fourth summer having a trailer seasonal at my resort.

This post was edited

The others will be people that want to get close to me trying to make sexual advances

Had this experience as well. But just extract myself from the situation - not interested in that not why I am naturist.

This post was edited

Where did you become a member if you dont mind me asking?

Lake Como in Pasco county here in central FL.

This post was edited

Where did you become a member if you dont mind me asking?Lake Como in Pasco county here in central FL.

Ok cool

This post was edited