RE:Nudist vs Naturist

Nakeemon wrote:

I think it could be seen that way in Europe. But in the USA NAKED EQUALS SEX in the mainstream and the weekend naked warriors tend to forget it is not.

I concede that there are some people who may think that way, and it's the way the media sometimes likes to portray it. But it doesn't represent the mind-set of the nudists I'm associated with.

This post was edited

I understand the difference between naturist and nudist parallel to my understanding of the difference between naked and nude. Naked reflects the body's natural state as it came into the world. Therefore, it's typically associated with harmony in nature with diet and exercise, etc. Nude is without clothes or coverings, that the "norm" has been removed, included a denuded landscape.

Having lived in Europe and the US, I agree that "naturist" (including non-English terms such as FKK) is more European and nudist is more American. This also reflects the more introverted vs. extroverted values of the European and American cultures. I haven't found much evidence of European-style nudism in the US. Whereas some Americans will use it in a puritanical sense to differentiate themselves from the hypersexualized nudist crowd, there's little embrace of traditional naturist ideals such as organic/vegetarian diets or fitness and vigorous exercise. My impression is that most US nudist resorts are more about relaxation than recreation.

The best American examples I'm aware of related to naturism are world naked bike rides, naked hiking, canuding and other recreational activities.

This post was edited

Naturist refers to the state of being unclothed as a practice that views the body interconnected to its environment. I think naturism refers more to a spiritual connection of mind, body, and soul to nature and the outdoors.
Nudist I think refers to the conscious state of being unclothed. I generally would associate nudity/nudism as having more of a social context but if not social, its definitely intentional.

I think the difference between naked/nude is intention. Where I feel that nude connotantes an intentional state of unclothed. So nude beach, nude figure study, nude illusion - these all indicate an intentionality of being or appearing unclothed.
Naked however is like the state of being unclothed without the intent of exposure or in a state wherein being unclothed leaves one unprotected. I think naked generally is used synonymously with bare, exposed
We hire our nude models through an advertisement in the local classifieds.
The hillside, now naked of its verdant protection, is vulnerable to rockslides and erosion.

This post was edited

Another perspective from French naturist association

What is naturism? Respect for oneself and others, above all! Naturism advocates respect for everyone, their differences and their peculiarities. Nudity in common allows you to accept the body with its qualities but also its faults. Its a real homecoming. Far from daily stress, the body frees itself, the mind opens up and seeks harmony with nature. Naturally, everyone contributes to preserving the calm and cleanliness of their environment. French Naturist Federation

The think that seems missing in the American meaning of nudist is respect. Many of those who claim to be nudist are also intentionally focused on their own proclivities without regard for respecting others. In the end as I have said definitions will vary but the underlying behavior is what actually expresses whether one is nudist or naturist. Thanks to the OP for starting this thread.

This post was edited

Interesting breakdown of the semiotics and symbolic meaning behind the words.

Heres another take

"Naturism is a philosophy that we live and not an activity that we practice." - FestiNatur festival

Naturist refers to the state of being unclothed as a practice that views the body interconnected to its environment. I think naturism refers more to a spiritual connection of mind, body, and soul to nature and the outdoors.Nudist I think refers to the conscious state of being unclothed. I generally would associate nudity/nudism as having more of a social context but if not social, its definitely intentional.I think the difference between naked/nude is intention. Where I feel that nude connotantes an intentional state of unclothed. So nude beach, nude figure study, nude illusion - these all indicate an intentionality of being or appearing unclothed.Naked however is like the state of being unclothed without the intent of exposure or in a state wherein being unclothed leaves one unprotected. I think naked generally is used synonymously with bare, exposedWe hire our nude models through an advertisement in the local classifieds.The hillside, now naked of its verdant protection, is vulnerable to rockslides and erosion.

This post was edited

I believe in today's vernacular, they are completely interchangeable.

My view has always been that a NUDIST gravitates towards landed clubs and resorts (Concrete pools, hotel style accommodations, on-site restaurant) - i.e. luxury and comfort, while a NATURIST gravitates towards a more natural setting - beaches, woods, lakes, rivers, tent camping (yurt if you're feeling particularly in need to some TLC).

Your definition may, and probably does, differ.

John aka cobeachbum

This post was edited

My view has always been that a NUDIST gravitates towards landed clubs and resorts (Concrete pools, hotel style accommodations, on-site restaurant) - i.e. luxury and comfort, while a NATURIST gravitates towards a more natural setting - beaches, woods, lakes, rivers, tent camping

Cobeachbum, you're on to something here. Nudist and naturist might be easily interchanged, but there seems to be little "naturist" offered at US nudist resorts. Their focus on luxury and comfort - not doing much of anything - is a radical departure from the principals of "physical culture," from which naturism developed. According the Encyclopedia Britannica, "physical culture" is a philosophy/ lifestyle seeking maximum physical development with benefits that include improvements in health, appearance, strength, endurance, flexibility, speed, and fitness. Naturism, instituted in 1903 in Germany, was "a controversial offshoot of this same search for health and freedom from the inhibitions of modern civilization. Eventually the body, and even sex, would be approached in a more open manner."

It's refreshing how youth and other outliers to contemporary US nudism are challenging the status quo of inactivity, discrimination and exclusivism practiced at resorts. They are now recapturing a more traditional "physical culture" naturism which is more engaged and active (such as World Naked Bike Ride) and willing to approach even sex in a more open manner than the grandparents at nudist resorts. The younger generations can save us all.

This post was edited

Ill admit Ive only ever experienced European naturism, but in over twenty years weve met and spoken to hundreds if not thousands of naked people from dozens of different countries and all 5 continents.

They all identified themselves as naturist or nudists ( Some were noodists, Chicago I think) but unless they told you specifically what they were, you couldnt tell the difference at face value.

Naturist vs nudist.

Its not a thing.

This post was edited

Nudism and naturism, just like so many other words, can often mean different things in different regions. For example, when you use the word 'pissed' in the northeast versus the south, in New England it often means you're drunk, in my area it means you're upset. That aspect of communication makes language more difficult and more interesting all at once.

Keep an open mind about any specific word and who knows - maybe you'll gain friends and influence people! Telling others what is and what isn't closes doors. The grey areas are where we can all learn more about the world and people around us.

This post was edited

Naturist vs nudist.Its not a thing.

Exactly. One person uses one term, another person uses the other and neither could probably tell you whey they use that term.
I find myself swapping between the two without much logic. I will describe my self as a naturist, but go to my local nudist beach and there again go to my local naturist swim. Or is it all the other way round!

This post was edited