RE:Nudist vs Naturist

For example, when you use the word 'pissed' in the northeast versus the south, in New England it often means you're drunk, in my area it means you're upset.

In the UK it can mean either, or both, depending on context rather than region. As in my wife was really pissed when I came home pissed the other evening.

This post was edited

I think it is a thing in the US because of cultural linguistic and behavioral differences. Most in the US would not describe themselves as naturists. Nudist is more common because here nudism is associated more with being naked for some kind of periodic recreational activity nakations, cruises etc. Those in the US who self describe as naturist have a much broader few connected with a way of life and philosophy beyond naked activity. That is reflected in the two national organizations American Association for Nude Recreation and the Naturist Society. The first primarily support resorts and travel clubs that provide nude recreational activity and the second sponsored workshop festivals and other way of life kinds of philosophical programs

In that sense naturists vs nudists is not an antagonistic reference but rather a practical difference
Naturist vs nudist.Its not a thing.Exactly. One person uses one term, another person uses the other and neither could probably tell you whey they use that term.I find myself swapping between the two without much logic. I will describe my self as a naturist, but go to my local nudist beach and there again go to my local naturist swim. Or is it all the other way round!

This post was edited

It's interesting that the US is not in the International Naturist Federation. There's also a political background behind. Nudism has a different history than naturism.

This post was edited

I think you are correct on both counts. Nudist historian state it was a conscious decision by Americans to move away from European style naturism. Brian Hoffman among others recount this in his book Naked: A Cultural History of American Nudism.

It's interesting that the US is not in the International Naturist Federation. There's also a political background behind. Nudism has a different history than naturism.

This post was edited

The answer of ChatGPT is quite good to this thread:

"The terms "naturism" and "nudism" are often used interchangeably to describe the practice of non-sexual social nudity, but some people differentiate between the two.

Naturism is sometimes seen as a broader philosophy that includes not only nudity but also a way of life that emphasizes a respect for nature, a healthy diet, physical activity, and social harmony.

Nudism, on the other hand, is sometimes seen as simply the practice of being nude in social settings without any particular ideology attached to it.

However, the distinction between the two can be subjective and varies depending on cultural and regional differences."

This post was edited

Definitely thought as wel when I saw the chat got response

This post was edited

A Nudist is a social person who wants to be surrounded by others of like mind, everyone must be naked, and are of a private type and no-one should know they are a nudist unless that person is also a member of a nudist group or gathering. Being a nudist means staying within an approved area "nudist only" space where clothes are not worn. A nudist must not be seen naked outside of this area, and photography is not allowed because of ones privacy and they do not want to share their nudity or their image with others.The Naturist is an environmentally concerned creature, who wants to be naked in nature. The naturist is not quite so focused on sharing their nakedness with other people, therefore being naked alone is fully acceptable, nature and environment is altogether more prominent in naturist thinking. The naturist is much less concerned with what other non-nudist people think, and tends to be much more focused on feeling the air and weather directly on their bear skin, getting close to and experiencing raw nature for it's own sake.

This post was edited

This is by no means a definition, its simply a personal observation.Americans say nudistEuropeans say naturistYes there will be exceptions, but generally this is true and they are both talking about the same thing anyway.

This post was edited

I was asked the differences years ago- this discussion never seems to go away. and here is my answer still. A Naturist will hike in 5+ miles to a clean untouched lake and pitch camp for a few weeks and no one will know they even went. a nudist will carry a cooler to the pool from the car for the day and return home to talk about their naked day for a week or more. Is either one better- not really when each got out of their experience what they needed.

Like many of the definitions in this thread, that's your personal definition and I think you'll find it doesn't match how people describe themselves.

This post was edited

Aileron wrote:
Like many of the definitions in this thread, that's your personal definition and I think you'll find it doesn't match how people describe themselves.

That's how words work. In the end, words mean what we think them to mean, and as long as you don't try to persuade others that your definitions are the only ones, all is well. Of course dictionaries are seen as ways to fix the definitions of words, and some will see them as an authority but, in reality, all the dictionary does is attempt to describe the word in terms of what they perceive popular culture would dictate. For more insight into this process, I would recommend Word For Word by Kory Stamper. Ms. Stamper is a professional lexicographer for Merriam-Webster, and her book is definitely worth a read.

My own definitions were stated back in post #9, and haven't changed. I usually use the word "naturist" when writing in the common culture, because "nudist" has long had a bad association with sex. Example: type "nudism" into Wikipedia and you're immediately given the page for "Naturism."

Maybe "naturist" will fall to the same fate, as the German "Freikoeperkultur" (FKK) has already succumbed, to the point where it is used in advertising to indicate sexual content. Then we'll have to come up with another term for being naked outside of a sexual context.

This post was edited