Age when self conscious about nudity

I am curious as to when some of us became self-conscious with our nudity. Was it when we entered our teens? Why? Erections? Pubic hair? Penis size?

What about masturbation? Was there an age when we were made to feel guilty or ashamed about masturbating?

This topic was edited
RE:Age when self conscious about nudity

Regarding nudity, it was never really an issue. I had lots of opportunity to be nude in communal showers at summer camp, and I don't remember any issues or problem with it.

As for masturbation, it was when I was around seven years old and my mother caught me fondling myself, and told me not to do that, because it was sinful. Come to think of it, that was about the same time that I was sexually assaulted by an older boy, so that added some baggage.

The first time I was in a communal nude situation was when I visited an FKK event in Germany when I was eighteen. I remember a bit of self-consciousness at first, because it was the first time I saw naked girls and women in the flesh, so to speak. I was probably wondering how I'd compare to other people. But what struck me was that I didn't get an erection, and I understood right away that this was not a sexual situation. So, no, I didn't feel any shame, just being at ease in that environment.

This post was edited

My friends stopped getting naked when we played around 13-14 but I just kept it up. It made them feel uncomfortable so I stopped being naked around them and made up for it at home every chance I got. These were the same guys I hung out with and once in high school they're wrapped in towels in the locker room and they made excuses not to shower after gym class so nobody would see them naked.

I masturbated often starting at about that same time, there was no real discussion about it at home and I just figured it would be better to not get caught doing it so I found lots of places to masturbate naked in the woods after school. As I got older I found I could do it two or three times a day, so I did.

This post was edited

My friends stopped getting naked when we played around 13-14 but I just kept it up. It made them feel uncomfortable so I stopped being naked around them and made up for it at home every chance I got. These were the same guys I hung out with and once in high school they're wrapped in towels in the locker room and they made excuses not to shower after gym class so nobody would see them naked.I masturbated often starting at about that same time, there was no real discussion about it at home and I just figured it would be better to not get caught doing it so I found lots of places to masturbate naked in the woods after school. As I got older I found I could do it two or three times a day, so I did.

This was very familiar to me I kinda had the same experiences.
My problem, my shame was my sudden erections with clothes on starting about 12
I kept going nude as often as possible but the erections did put off my friends.
Mostly the guys as the girls always thought it funny or cute.
Many times I would be very excited when I took off my clothes. I mean like, if the wind blows in the next county, Instant erection.
There were more than a few times I would suddenly ejaculate without ever touching myself.
That was embarrassing.

This post was edited

Interestingly, I don't recall ever having become self-conscious about nudity because I was never nude around my house - a home full of women and no dad after I was five. My only memory of nudity around the house when I was younger than that was when one of my parents would plop all four of us kids in the bathtub, all facing forward, to give us a group bath. Two older sisters and my little sister all in a row, with some friendly fighting as to who was going to be the pilot of the plane we were flying (the kid in the front seat). The next time I saw my oldest sister nude was a month ago when she and her partner came to visit me and my honey at the nude resort where we now live.

As a boy and then young man in the sixties and seventies, our mono-sex groups would do overnight camp-outs in someone's backyard, and it wasn't uncommon for one or more of us to pull out our penises and draw urine petroglyphs on the pavement under the streetlights on those star-gazing nights, young and easily amused as we were. Those silly swirls of pee would sometimes be visible for weeks afterward! It wasn't nudity, just pissing dicks, hee hee! Once puberty hit us, these all male camping moments came to a slow close, but that was also about the time that streaking came into favor and that meant yes, full-fledged nudity running around under the streetlights and us in full view of each other. Later on these groups became co-ed and skinny-dipping nights and truth or dare games began to happen once we got our licenses and the beer began to get into us. It never turned sexual but there was a vibe of sensuality that we could all feel.

Somewhere in the midst of all that pre- to post-pubescent activity came gym class in junior high, and all of us boys trying to avoid taking a shower afterward. I recall having been forced to take only one shower in all that time, and the prayer that before the next shower moment I would grow some fucking pubic hair to hide my dick and balls! Seeing the other boys in the shower gave me my first real look at other genitals and the realization that my penis was nothing to be worried about in comparison, even though I still wanted to hide behind the fur some of the other guys had already a full bush of by then. So my prayer was answered, in a way.

Masturbation was something I never ever did around anyone else until I was well into my twenties, and even then only with my girlfriends. I don't recall ever being caught doing it as a youngster, and so was never told to stop doing it, or that it was sinful, or that I'd go blind, or that I'd grow hair on my palms if I didn't stop, and all the other crazy shit parents told their children back in those days when they were caught while engaged in an act of self-pleasure. I did get sort of caught when I was around fifteen by two neighbor kids and their mom when they found out I'd looked through their cabinet where I knew they kept the Penthouse and Playboy magazines - I was house sitting for them for a week and spent a lot of time with that cabinet open. They'd put a piece of tape on the door to that cabinet and knew for sure that I'd gone in there, so - busted for flogging the log in their house! I recall the mortifying embarrassment but it was very short-lived. Their mom had a private talk with me alone about it, soon after the two daughters had stopped laughing at me and gone off to do something else, their mom telling me that there was nothing wrong with what I'd done, and her kindly, soft voice doing nothing but encouraging me to go into that cabinet whenever I wanted. And I did, many times, always thankful when they would go out of town. And that moment with their mother also gave me plenty of pleasure in the future moments I spent alone with my thoughts, remembering how she'd been so kind to me, trying to help relieve me of the guilt of being busted for using their stash of magazines for relief. She understood that there was nothing wrong with what I was doing, and knowing I had no father figure in my life to talk to about the sexual urges I was feeling, she gently assisted me to that understanding. I was very lucky. I ended up having a short relationship with her older daughter a few years later that was very satisfying, with a wonderful nude swim in the warm Potomac River and our two sleeping bags zipped together on their pier all night long -- but that is a very different story!

I am curious as to when some of us became self-conscious with our nudity. Was it when we entered our teens? Why? Erections? Pubic hair? Penis size?What about masturbation? Was there an age when we were made to feel guilty or ashamed about masturbating?

This post was edited

Nudity is like cleaning your teeth, like drinking, like peeing, nothing to be self conscious about. It's natural life or what everybody does. Also masturbation was a natural behaviour, apes do it, cats do it, humans do it.
I guess you mean when was the time when nudity lost its innocence? I guess when I spoke about such things in school and I realised other families are not so open minded. Yes, more a social conditioning.

This post was edited

So how did you learn non sexual nudity?

This post was edited

So how did you learn non sexual nudity?

I dont think he has yet.

This post was edited

So how did you learn non sexual nudity?I dont think he has yet.

Wish the site had a like button. I would like both of the previous comments. Thumbs up emoji will have to sipuffice

This post was edited

So how did you learn non sexual nudity?I dont think he has yet.

I think this is me.
I may be absolutely comfortable being nude in most all situations. Like social nudity, nude with both sexes, public nudity But Im always a bit turned on by nudity of any kind.
My favorite is to be the only one nude amongst clothed people, either or both sexes.
My not normal not typical upbringing by a mother who always encouraged me to be nude even when the adolescent fear or shame began. She then insisted I remain nude in most instances.
Even after I got in trouble for exposing myself to kids at school when ever they asked me to.
She continued to convince me to stay nude
saying there is nothing wrong with it.

This post was edited

I was self-conscious about nudity when I was starting school - I would have been 5 years old.
I had been taught in no uncertain terms that I needed to keep my clothes on when out and about, at school etc - essentially any time that I wasn't in the tub I had to be clothed!
It was so extreme that I even hid my penis from other boys when getting changed for swimming.
Over the next few years that peculiar behavior disappeared, and as time went by I went the other way and took any opportunity I could to get naked (without my parents knowing).

This post was edited

This site is only available to users 18 and over and we use cookies

We use cookies for functionality, social media, and google analytics. To view our cookie policy please view Our Cookie Policy