Clan identification

I realize that kilts are for everyone, not just Scots and that many naturist men like casual or non-traditional kilts as well as other types of Male Unbifurcated Garments (aka MUGS). But identifying with a clan is important and traditional highland kilts remain central to the idea of wearing the kilt.
So, Brothers, if you've a family connection to a clan, which one(s) and do you have a kilt in your clan tartan?
I'll go first--I learned last year that I have a possible connection through my mother's paternal line (name of Trimble) who were Scotch-Irish (as we call it in the USA) or Ulster Scot. We have an ancestor who married in Northern Ireland (Derry), but immediately immigrated. However, at present that's where the trail begins so we have no way of knowing whether they were forced out of the South of Scotland or the North of England.

This topic was edited
RE: Clan identification

The tartan decision is not always that easy. Many families and septs have tartans too. And then there are the variations - ancient, hunting, modern... I eventually settled on the ancient version of my clan tartan, and very happy I did.

This post was edited

I am a great fan of the kilt as it's a superb garment to wear in all types of circumstance - but in fact a lot of the "clan" thing is made up and not substantiated. I think nowadys you go for a tartan that you personally like rather than one that your paternal great uncle wore because he married into a particular family...! Sorry if this sounds sacriligious for anyone....

This post was edited

I am a great fan of the kilt as it's a superb garment to wear in all types of circumstance - but in fact a lot of the "clan" thing is made up and not substantiated. I think nowadys you go for a tartan that you personally like rather than one that your paternal great uncle wore because he married into a particular family...! Sorry if this sounds sacriligious for anyone....My family name is Cannon and its part of the Macgillory District in Ireland and that's the tartan I have.

This post was edited

I am a macleod and I have a kilt in said tartan on a tartan bragging note I am able to wear the black watch

This post was edited

For a long time I didn't get a kilt out of respect for the Clan heritage. But then I discovered the canny Scots have produced some clan-less tartans to sell to Sassernachs and others world-wide. Good to see someone taking a marketing opportunity. I bought one and wear it with pride.

This post was edited

Well, apparently I'm descendant of the Stewart Clan. I don't yet have a kilt in the Tartan. I do have a Utiliy kilt that I wear some but currently it's too small. :(
I also enjoy the sarong - also known as a pareu or kikepa. They are most comfortable if you have to wear anything.

This post was edited

For a long time I didn't get a kilt out of respect for the Clan heritage. But then I discovered the canny Scots have produced some clan-less tartans to sell to Sassernachs and others world-wide. Good to see someone taking a marketing opportunity. I bought one and wear it with pride.I think the tartan is called Pride of Scotland. By coincidence it is part of the female uniform for the local school. So I could be accused of cross-dressing if I'm wearing it in town at the end of the school day.

This post was edited

Olly, I would love to have one just out of my price range. It would cause a lot of controversy around here.

This post was edited

I recently learned that I trace back to Clan Campbell and Clan Bruce. I hope they liked each other.

This post was edited
RE:Clan identification

I am a Smith and wear the modern Smith tartan by choice, I am also able to wear my Mom's Gordon tartan. I choose the modern version instead of the ancient Smith as I preferred the darker tartan and I consider myself as a modern person. Smith is not a clan but a sept of Clan Chatten and the Gaelic name is Gow. Smith is an occupational name, probably every village has a Smith, many of my ancestors worked with metals. I was in 2 Legion pipe bands and each had their own tartan, the Black Royal Stewart and the other Davidson, some were chosen for their colour and style or for costs, Scots can be thrifty. Tartans are not just for Clan identification, Canada has the Maple Leaf, British Columbia has the BC Tartan, many businesses or universities have their own design and colours. Everyone is entitled to wear the Black Watch which is concerned the people's tartan. Kilts are great to wear, when combined with the Jacobite shirt, knitted socks, brogues, sporran and Glengarry hat they represent a proud tradition.

This post was edited