RE: Clan identification

A kilt is an investment, they will last a lifetime, they are expensive as each is personally custom made and by the weight of the tartan fabric. 15 years ago I purchased my own kilt at a local respected Highland store who took my measurements, including kneeling on the floor, the order was sent to Scotland and in 7 weeks I received it. I choose the modern Smith in medium weight which was ideal for piping and Scottish country dancing as it keeps its form, never buy light weight material. Cost was 700 dollars Canadian and that has been money well spent, I am very proud to wear my kilt.

This post was edited

I am a MacLean and wear modern MacLean dress kilt.they call it a kilt cause that's what happen to the guy who called it a dress lol.

This post was edited

As a Dawson apparently I'm entitled to wear the Davidson tartan and also the tartan of clan Chattan. However none of the 4 kilts in my wardrobe are of these clans. After much searching I discovered dressing in the "correct" tartan would cost a bloody fortune ( around 500 sterling) . The first kilt was black and cost a tenner (10 sterling ) thanks to the well known auction site with e in its name. Number 2 was from the same site but freedom tartan and cost pennies. Number 3, also a flee bay purchase was accidental I was the only bidder and the postage was the biggest expense a brand new heritage of Scotland tartan 8 yard kilt for stupid money. Number 4 was purchased from Heritage of Scotland a 5 yard party kilt in Mackenzie but it is to small and to light. If I ever get rich I'll go to Scotland get measured and buy a 16 oz 8 yard 100% wool kilt in the correct tartan

This post was edited

There is nothing wrong with a light weight kilt. It's fun on a windy day.

Sometimes a bar man will ask why I'm wearing a kilt. I reply that I think he wouldn't serve me if I took it off.

This post was edited

I do have another light weight but its only just to big. Everything's ok till I breathe out, then it makes its way to the floor with remarkable speed. Think a belt might help.

This post was edited

There is nothing wrong with a light weight kilt. It's fun on a windy day.Sometimes a bar man will ask why I'm wearing a kilt. I reply that I think he wouldn't serve me if I took it off.

Sort of like the day when my wife asked me if I really wanted to take a walk around the neighborhood wearing just gym shorts.
My reply was, "No but i would probably get in trouble if I didn't wear anything!"

This post was edited

I do have another light weight but its only just to big. Everything's ok till I breathe out, then it makes its way to the floor with remarkable speed.

Have you ever done that "accidentally" on purpose? I have! One time was in an audition. Instead of stripping a garment at a time I pulled off my shirt and pulled my tummy in. Fully clothed to fully naked in an instant.

This post was edited

The other half does enjoy the free floor show if I "accidently " breathe out and drop the lot. Also with the cooling of the weather I've found I've been repurposed as a hand warmer. There is no end to the versatility of these wonderful garments.

This post was edited