1/2 cup (125 ml) dark brown sugar
1/2 cup (125 ml) maple syrup
1 tsp (5 ml) cinnamon
1/2 tsp (2 ml) freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 tsp (1 ml) ground cloves
3 - 4 acorn squash, cut in half, seeds and fiber removed
6 - 8 1-inch (3 cm) pieces of bacon
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Combine the melted butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves in a bowl and stir to combine thoroughly. Arrange the squash halves in a baking pan and divide the butter mixture between them. Top each with a piece of bacon and season with salt and pepper. Add about 1 inch (3 cm) of water to the baking pan and bake in a preheated 350F (180C) oven until the squash is tender, about 30 minutes. Serves 6 to 8.

This topic was edited
RE:Spiced Acorn Squash

This sounds good. We haven't grown acorn squash in several years but are growing more butternut every year. Butternut id vine borer resistant. Think this would be good with butternut squash?

This post was edited

I was introduced to a simpler version of this when I first married my first wife. This recipe sounds much better so think I will try it out. This is definitely the season for dishes like this (January, right now)

This post was edited

"Think this would be good with butternut squash?"
I would cube the squash and do it in a casserole dish. I don't know why it wouldn't work.

This post was edited

I will pass the recipe on, we have few butternut squash which we need to use in the next few weeks. We will be growing more of them since they do not cross with summer squash, so we can save some seeds.

This post was edited