Educating the non-nudist ...

I recently spent a few hours at my favorite watering hole. One of the young female bartenders has become a friend and this past visit ... I wore my "Live Naked" wrist band. It's like the yellow "Live Strong" bands but clear in color. She caught a glimpse of the band and saw the inscription ... raised an eyebrow and then asked ... "what are you ... a nudist?" I replied ... "yes I am." It took quite a long time and I still think I will have to talk to her quite a bit more about it but she just couldn't get past the idea that it was ALL sexual. I was honest and told her that it could be in the right context andenvironment but that the type of nudism we live and participate in was NOT sexual. Can you get those feeling with your significant other or spouse while at a nude venue ... sure but you act on it in private and not out in the open. It can be difficult to try and keep anyone's focus on what your are trying to explain to them about nudism and it's even harder when it's a younger person and harder yet when it's a guy my age, talking to a young female. You try and keep them focused on the fact that you're not trying to get into their pants. Luckily ... by the end of the evening ... this young friend was interested enough that she wants to visit our club. I think she'll be somewhat disappointed. What she may be looking for is something more like a Desire or Hedonism place ... but a day or two at our club will give her a better idea of what nudism is really about. ;-)

This topic was edited
RE: Educating the non-nudist ...

I am planning to get a Tee shirt printed with my nude picture with a slogan- I am a naturist....

This post was edited
RE: Educating the non-nudist ...

Everyone around me knows I'm a nudist. I go on a lot of (nude) holidays each year and, inevitably, am asked about them. It's a great chance to tell them what I do. Some just don't want to know. Others are interested, even envious. Some even want to look at my holiday pics (all nude). And at other times my lifestyle will crop up in conversation, with the usual comments about tan lines and luggage.

This post was edited
RE:Educating the non-nudist ...

I think that letting non-nudists who are unsure of what genuine nudism is about see and experience social nudism is one of, if not the best, ways to educate them. We have good textile friends who had similar ideas about nudists to those your friend at the bar has. I'm very open about being a nudist, my partner is less so but she doesn't hide the fact from friends who wear clothes more than us. Friends who visit us know we're likely to be nude if they call round unannounced, if they do that we usually remain naked. They then get that we don't deal in those body-shaming misconceptions and are relaxed about social nudity We make a point of informing new friends who are likely to visit about our nudism, this is usually the time when they might ask those questions about our lifestyle that can clear up that we are nudists for non-sexual reasons. We have photos from nudist trips in areas of our home that they'd see anyway once they got beyond the entrance, so they'd see us nude one way or the other. Good textile friends have had no issue with our nudity in this way, we were friends before, nudist visitors join us naked. Textile visitors who are not friends, maybe a surveyor or maintenance person, will normally find we've made an effort to wear something, we're not into forcing our nudity on others even though it is legal to be naked in and around the home here.

I think that being as open and upfront about why we are nudists and what nudism means to us is the best way to educate non-nudists. I've talked to non-nudist friends in a similar way to you Andy about why we are nudists. Its not always easy to overcome those fallacies about nudism, but if they are friends its usually easier than doing so with others. If nudists don't duck the issue and are open and honest about real nudism it can only be for the greater good for all nudists in my view. I do get that it is not always easy to convince non-nudists that we are not all into nudism for those false ideas spread about us in some sectors of the media.

This post was edited

I think that letting non-nudists who are unsure of what genuine nudism is about see and experience social nudism is one of, if not the best, ways to educate them. We have good textile friends who had similar ideas about nudists to those your friend at the bar has. I'm very open about being a nudist, my partner is less so but she doesn't hide the fact from friends who wear clothes more than us. Friends who visit us know we're likely to be nude if they call round unannounced, if they do that we usually remain naked. They then get that we don't deal in those body-shaming misconceptions and are relaxed about social nudity We make a point of informing new friends who are likely to visit about our nudism, this is usually the time when they might ask those questions about our lifestyle that can clear up that we are nudists for non-sexual reasons. We have photos from nudist trips in areas of our home that they'd see anyway once they got beyond the entrance, so they'd see us nude one way or the other. Good textile friends have had no issue with our nudity in this way, we were friends before, nudist visitors join us naked. Textile visitors who are not friends, maybe a surveyor or maintenance person, will normally find we've made an effort to wear something, we're not into forcing our nudity on others even though it is legal to be naked in and around the home here.I think that being as open and upfront about why we are nudists and what nudism means to us is the best way to educate non-nudists. I've talked to non-nudist friends in a similar way to you Andy about why we are nudists. Its not always easy to overcome those fallacies about nudism, but if they are friends its usually easier than doing so with others. If nudists don't duck the issue and are open and honest about real nudism it can only be for the greater good for all nudists in my view. I do get that it is not always easy to convince non-nudists that we are not all into nudism for those false ideas spread about us in some sectors of the media.

Spot on! A well written summery

'we're not into forcing our nudity on others even though it is legal to be naked in and around the home here.
But being as open and upfront about why we are nudists and what nudism means to us is the best way to educate non-nudists.'

This post was edited

I'm open upfront and natural about my nudity to everyone around me. But if someone was to ask WHY I'm a nudist I might find it difficult to find an answer, beyond saying it is not a sexual thing. Maybe my enthusiasm is enough. After all why do people collect stamp (or coins) or sit endlessly dangling a hook in a river hoping to catch a fish which they will most probably put back in the water.

This post was edited

What happened to your new friend in the end? This is some years ago now. Did she visit your club, or even become a naturist, too. Whether she did or not, I'm sure that she has a better idea of what naturism is about because of her encounter with you, that time.

This post was edited