RE:Is There a Sexual Side to Nudism?

It was in a previous comment on this thread. Maybe they were all men....i have no way of knowing . From previous experiences I know that even though it's often denied sex is a big part of naturism.

This post was edited

It was in a previous comment on this thread. Maybe they were all men....i have no way of knowing . From previous experiences I know that even though it's often denied sex is a big part of naturism.

Well, since we're almost two hundred fifty posts into this topic, it's a lot to go back and try to find. So I'll just have to ask the person who posted the comment to source it.

I'm not doubting your personal experiences. I'll just have to say that I don't share them. It's not to say that I've never seen two people meet at a nude beach or party and hook up. It's just that they don't go there for that purpose. It all depends, I think, on what's tolerated at each particular venue. If the venues you frequent encourage swinging, I don't doubt that sex is a big part of their naturism. And I have no problem with that, as long as they're consenting adults.

This post was edited

Our personal experience is, we had sex as textiles and we still have sex now we are naturists.

Being a naturist doesnt mean you are going to get more sex........ a better tan maybe.

If you are not getting sex as a textile, you are not going to get sex by becoming a naturist....A better tan maybe.

If you become a naturist thinking you are going to get sex then you are confusing that with swinging and you still wont get any sex.

Become a swinger, if you still arent getting any sex...... Get a therapist, you have some issues and you need to have it explained why you arent getting any sex.

This post was edited

Don;t know that 65% of swingers are nudists. My experience is that swingers are not much into nudity unless there is some sex attached. As soon as the sex part is over, clothes go on.

This post was edited

100% of Naturists are not swingers.

65% of swingers (no sores for that number) also like to be nude.

Thats the difference its not rocket science.

This post was edited

I'm not doubting your personal experiences. I'll just have to say that I don't share them. It's not to say that I've never seen two people meet at a nude beach or party and hook up. It's just that they don't go there for that purpose. It all depends, I think, on what's tolerated at each particular venue. If the venues you frequent encourage swinging, I don't doubt that sex is a big part of their naturism. And I have no problem with that, as long as they're consenting adults.

I don't really disagree with you. I have never frequented venues, let alone swinging ones, and my experiences have always been on various beaches where the general rule seems to be "live and let live" and I'm happy to go along with that.

This post was edited

The discussion seems to have veered into discussing how many naturists are swingers and vice versa. I expect most swingers like being nude with other people but that doesnt necessarily make them naturists. Labels and statistics are always dangerous. For example women who wear longer skirts are statistically more likely to die. This doesnt mean longer skirts are better for a womans health, it merely reflects the fact that shorter skirts are more commonly worn by younger women. So statistics are misleading as often as theyre helpful.

Naturism and swinging are two different things. Ive nothing against either but if your core purpose in getting naked with others is sex then thats probably not naturism. However naturists are human and their sexuality isnt suspended because theyre naked.

Attitudes among the general population to sex, sexuality and nudity have changed rapidly in recent decades and many naturists and naturist organisations havent kept up. Like everything in life, naturism must adapt if its to survive. Younger naturists are normal people of their generation and usually have different, and much more relaxed attitudes to sexuality, gender, sexual activity and whats socially acceptable than their parents or grandparents generations.

As a man in his fifties I admire their more respectful and openminded attitudes to other human beings and sexual expression. Weve taught them much and also failed them by leaving them to redress the harm our consumptive attitudes are doing to our planet. The truth is that now we have a LOT to learn from them.

This post was edited

em1dub is quite right, in my opinion. We seem to be in this conundrum because our society conflates nudity with nudism. They are not the same thing. I would agree that, for most people, there's a sexual side to nudity, because we are most often going to see other people naked in sexual situations. But for nudists, we see other nude people in all sorts of situations ... some sexual, to be sure, but also doing what most people do with their clothes on. So the sexual side of nudity diminishes after a while until it mostly assumes its normal position in life.

You wrote:

Attitudes among the general population to sex, sexuality and nudity have changed rapidly in recent decades and many naturists and naturist organisations havent kept up. Like everything in life, naturism must adapt if its to survive. Younger naturists are normal people of their generation and usually have different, and much more relaxed attitudes to sexuality, gender, sexual activity and whats socially acceptable than their parents or grandparents generations.

That statement agrees with a point that I have been trying to make on another thread. I think that there are two branches of nudism today. One, which I've called "Old School" is represented by established clubs, organizations, and resorts, which have one set of what they consider proper behavior. The other is "New School" and consists of nudists, mostly younger ones, that operate outside those venues in more relaxed, informal settings. They usually consist of groups of close friends and business associates who, when they socialize, often (but not always) do it in the nude.

Because these two schools don't overlap, they don't know much about each other. In fact, many of their "members" don't even know the other one exists. (I put "members" in quotes because, in the New School, there is no such thing as memberships. Or dues, or admission fees, or codified rules of behavior.) My friend Woodsman21 likes to call that younger, looser crowd "free range nudists" and I kind of like that description.

BTW, that thread is entitled "What to do about erections!!!" if you're interested in the discussion. It's a long thread, so you'd best work from the most recent posts on backwards.

This post was edited

Jehoram, I think youve just given a very incisive analysis of where naturism is at in 2020.

Im 53 and, while I see the importance of national naturist associations and organisations such as the INF etc, I think your description of the newer, less structured naturism describes me best ( despite my vintage! ). With delight weve learned much from our teenage sons whose generation is in so many ways more enlightened than our own. In fact theyre a wonderful generation! Old-fashioned attitudes that dominate too much naturist discourse ( not least here in Truenudists ) are alien to them, and theyre bright enough and confident enough to respectfully but uncompromisingly reject them.

Frequently we see mention of the so-called greying of naturism but seldom in such discussions do we get realisation of the obvious truths elucidated in Jehorams reply above. The younger generations havent rejected body freedom or lost natural appreciation for the joys of shared nudity. They have however voted with their feet ( and all of their bodies! LOL ) in response to outdated attitudes to nudity, gender, sex and sexuality which many older ( and usually well-intentioned ) naturists are convinced are necessary if one is to be described as a real naturist / nudist. These self-appointed arbiters of naturist sincerity, with their sometimes over-zealous fixation with distancing naturism from sex, need to be put out to grass. Theyre inadvertently alienating younger naturists. ( Im reminded of Oscar Wildes line .. Every man kills the thing he most loves - for example the amateur musician.. (Re punctuation : Apologies - on iOS quotation marks, apostrophes etc are sometimes deleted here ) Can the same be said of some of us middle-aged and older naturists? Is the so-called greying of naturism more to do with old attitudes than old people in clubs etc?

Naturist clubs wont survive if the people running them dont wake up and smell the coffee. And frankly, if they dont change they wont deserve to survive! Clubs or resorts have to be places where young people and their energy is welcomed and celebrated... a place where kids can make noise, music can be ( too ) loud and couples can show affection to each other without disapproval from moral mafias.

Jehoram mentions a thread on what to do about erections. There are many such discussions on this site, many replies which are gratuitously negative, and many others which, with the best intentions, suggest ways to cover up or hide erections. But, in my opinion, thats advice that comes from very outdated attitudes to masculinity and sexuality. In the real world an erection is only a problem if the man attached to it is a problem. Ive seen nearby naturists smile when they see an erection and Ive never seen negative reactions on beaches etc unless the erection is attached to a man whose behaviour is offensive.

Theres a thing called the internet - unless youve been living under a rock you realise that younger generations use it all the time and openly use it for viewing sex and sexual images etc. Thats not something of which theyre ashamed. Its considered normal. So the sight of an erection isnt a big deal and neither is sex! Theyre generally sexually more knowledgeable, hygienic ( and even more skilled! ) than previous generations, and theyre certainly a lot more relaxed and liberal about sex. These facts affect the naturist world as much as the rest of society, and outdated bigotry of the type that offers membership only to male / female couples and single women wont be tolerated any longer! The young heterosexual couples of which the clubs might approve wont want to be members of a club where their single male/ LGBTQ+ friends arent equally welcome.

The future for naturism is, I believe, bright, less dogmatic, and even better than the past which some of us cant seem to let die.

This post was edited

I'm amazed at the longevity of this thread along with all of its tangents. Perhaps we're all missing the point. Maybe the real issue here is if there is a sexual side to textilism with the immediate follow up of ...and why should nudists care?

This post was edited