Summer camp memory

I was in my early teens and away for a week at a summer camp, this would have been the mid 70s.I think I was sleeping nude while at home at the time, but not ready to openly sleep nude in a cabinof other teens and actually unlike now very shy even in a shower setting.
But I do have a distinct memory of one the councilers probably in his early 20s not only casually showering in the buffbut standing at the sink still nude shaving. In the communal bathroom shared by the teens and leadership
Maybe the reason that it made such impression is I wished i could havebeen so bold. My guess is that if a guy in his 20s in a leadership position now was casually nude around a groupof teens there would be hell to pay and he would lose his job at summer camp.
thots?

This topic was edited
RE: Summer camp memory

It's possible that there would be trouble today. After all, you see so many guys in the locker rooms at gyms wearing their shorts in the showers. It's ridiculous. I guess it would depend on if one of the kids complained or not.
I never went to camp. I always looked at being sent to a camp like being punished. I had way too much fun hanging out with my friends every summer.

This post was edited

I would have to say it would prob. be frowned upon for sure.... all one has to do is look at lockerrooms today. From the private stall showers to the guys that shower in shorts if they shower at all. I used to belong to a YMCA that had old fashioned lockerrooms where there were the gang showers. When they did a remodel they added new lockerrooms with private showers and private changing rooms... luckily they still kept the old ones as well.. at least for the time being.

This post was edited

It's possible that there would be trouble today. After all, you see so many guys in the locker rooms at gyms wearing their shorts in the showers. It's ridiculous. I guess it would depend on if one of the kids complained or not.I never went to camp. I always looked at being sent to a camp like being punished. I had way too much fun hanging out with my friends every summer.Yes, if one of the kids complained. Another sign of the lowest common denominator society in which we currently live. One person complains, sues, or whatever and everyone else has to change. So it's become "OMG THERE'S SOMEONE NAKED IN THE SHOWER!" instead of people just showering and going about their business as the camp guy was doing in the original post. Maybe the one that complains should be the one that needs to change.

This post was edited

Throughout the 70's and 80's all gym experiences were nude. Even the Golds Gym in KC had a hot tub where most were nude. That was nice you didn't have to deal with wet suits.
Yea, putting in privatte rooms is going the wrong way.

This post was edited

Can't imagine that happening these days, there's such a pandering to the conservatism of religions that everything is done behind closed shower curtains.

This post was edited

After reading the posts in this and other threads, I'm struck by the fact that the generation of the 50s and 60s seems to have raisedchildren more uptight about their bodies than were the generation of the 40s. The "Baby Boom" generation was supposed to be all about equality, freedom, free love, back to nature, and yet as a group, we seem to have raised our children to be afraid of themselves. Perhaps as we rebelled against the values of our parents, generations following us are rebelling against theirs by rejecting values Boomers took for granted. I'm not sure when or how communal showering became such a situation to be avoided (or why) but I find the whole situation to be a very interesting study on human psychology...

This post was edited

My summer camp experience was in the late '40s. Swimming was only in the nude. Boys and Councilors walked to and from the communal lavatories and showers in the nude. There were no private showers only gang showers. No one seemed to think of it as being odd. That's just they way it was in those days.

This post was edited

I haven't belonged to any health clubs for about 8 years now. The last three I belonged to were YMCAs and a city owned community center gym. The locker room and showers were communal. I'm disheartened and saddened by this trend towards private showers and changing rooms. It's an essential part of male social interaction. Males should see other males naked in settings like this. Obviously not for sexual reasons but for learning what other males look like nude and how they interact. If you can't get comfortable with being around the nudity of others then you may have trouble with your own nudity. What a prudish society we have become.

This post was edited

I'm not sure when or how communal showering became such a situation to be avoided (or why) but I find the whole situation to be a very interesting study on human psychology...
Agreed. My personal, totally unsubstantiated theory goes like this:
1) TV and the news started broadcasting pedophilia and other bad things. This led people to believe that there were bad people all around - when really they weren't/aren't.
2) Society became more openly sexual and suggestively sexual. This led to nudity being more closely identified with sex.
3) With the rise of homosexuality, single gender nudity was no longer "safe" or off limits for sexuality.
4) As we became more urban & suburban, we lost "the ole swimmin' hole" and other venues where people would be naked in semi-privacy. And we lost the connection to nature that nudity enhances.
5) With the rise in population and the crowding mentioned in 4, there was/is a greater concentration of bad guys out to get children.
My hope is with the Millennials. They've grown up with the paranoia of their parents and can reject it. They've been exposed to huge amounts of nudity on the internet and should be desensitized. They are a generation that takes pictures & shares EVERYTHING - including nudity. They've seen homosexuality be normalized & so should not see it as scary or deviant.
I could be very wrong, but my hope is that once the Boomers & Gen Xers fade from the scene, the Millennials will have a more sane & open attitude toward nudity.
(P.S. Wow, getting the formatting right on TN really is a pain!)

This post was edited

I'm not sure when or how communal showering became such a situation to be avoided (or why) but I find the whole situation to be a very interesting study on human psychology...
Agreed. My personal, totally unsubstantiated theory goes like this:
1) TV and the news started broadcasting pedophilia and other bad things. This led people to believe that there were bad people all around - when really they weren't/aren't.
2) Society became more openly sexual and suggestively sexual. This led to nudity being more closely identified with sex.
3) With the rise of homosexuality, single gender nudity was no longer "safe" or off limits for sexuality.
4) As we became more urban & suburban, we lost "the ole swimmin' hole" and other venues where people would be naked in semi-privacy. And we lost the connection to nature that nudity enhances.
5) With the rise in population and the crowding mentioned in 4, there was/is a greater concentration of bad guys out to get children.
My hope is with the Millennials. They've grown up with the paranoia of their parents and can reject it. They've been exposed to huge amounts of nudity on the internet and should be desensitized. They are a generation that takes pictures & shares EVERYTHING - including nudity. They've seen homosexuality be normalized & so should not see it as scary or deviant.
I could be very wrong, but my hope is that once the Boomers & Gen Xers fade from the scene, the Millennials will have a more sane & open attitude toward nudity.
(P.S. Wow, getting the formatting right on TN really is a pain!)Oh wow! The rise in homosexuality? Some of your other points are spot on, but where in the world did this come from? Homosexuality is no greater or lesser than in history; it's just finally being more accepted as the dinosaurs die off and the younger generation opens their eyes to acceptance. To think there's a "rise" in homosexuality suggests we're recruiting! I can assure you we're not recruiting...

This post was edited