RE:Transgender misunderstanding!

I would say as a first step, worry less about understanding him and more about supporting him.
As a first step, refer to him as "him" in this thread, not "her".

Secondly, stop coming up with your own reasons for why he feels this way. Only he knows why. The reason you can't find a reason that makes sense to you is that you aren't him.

Edit: And I just noticed that this thread is from 5 years ago...

This post was edited

I would say as a first step, worry less about understanding him and more about supporting him.As a first step, refer to him as "him" in this thread, not "her".Secondly, stop coming up with your own reasons for why he feels this way. Only he knows why. The reason you can't find a reason that makes sense to you is that you aren't him.Edit: And I just noticed that this thread is from 5 years ago...

This really can't be said too much though, and the threads begin sometimes years ago but the other posts are more recent. There are transwomen and men on the site who may not speak out but who are reading this and I guarantee you, it's helping someone (or will help someone) feel more welcome and a bit better about the community.

This post was edited
RE: Transgender misunderstanding!

26 years at Johns Hopkins. Hmmm---clearly an unqualified individual. Maybe he is not part of the group think. His article indicates he studied results.

Are you trans? Are you a clinical psychologist? Is he trans? How many clinics are using his research? Where is it cited in the current literature? Did you look at any other journals or articles to evaluate this one?

One does not evaluate the quality of research by the author, by his credentials, or by qualificiation. Being able to swim doesn't mean you can't drown. You need to look at the paper. At the methodology, and at the conclusions. This man thinks that transgenderism, a complex human condition is simply a disease. None of my transgender friends think that. None of my transgender colleagues do. None of the experts in transgender issues from medicine to art to theory to psychology who are also trans do. We know what happened to transfolx before we decided to fix gender dysphoria with surgery and hormone replacement. They killed themselves no matter what we did. Many still do, but the good news is that those who identify early, get the support and are allowed to stop puberty until they are old enough to make the choice have much much better outcomes. If you have never been through this with a close friend, you cannot begin to imagine what it is really like. Maybe you see funny people in the media and think they can just not be so weird. This article is not credible. Why you would post it in a thread like this is unclear, but you should at least have the basic knowledge to be able to read it critically before offering it up to someone in a bit of a crisis situation as a solution. What was this supposed to do for anyone?

Just because science isn't confirming your bias and just because you have ideas about something something something doesn't mean that the robust, decadal, multidiscipline scientific body of evidence is group think. Nor does it mean your outlier is the truth just because it tickles you the right way. U of T, Johns Hopkins, Goldsmith's, there are a handful of mostly male researchers who want to pathologize everything that isn't quite like them. When you go with these guys, you're going with eugenics, social darwinism and some of the uglier ideas about human beings there are.

This post was edited

I'm not sure why you think that labels are mostly used to make people feel superior to others. That's a really odd perspective.
I use the label gay for myself because I feel it accurately represents that part of me. Not sure where superiority fits into that.

This post was edited