RE: Locker Room Nudity, Have Things Changed?

I feel sorry for those teachers with a room full of smelly pubescent students. Where is the Lysol spray or air effects?

This post was edited

I'm 62 years old. When I was in middle and high school we were always naked for showers and to change clothes. Recently I joined a gym and found that this is no more. Showers are separated and have curtains. I see no one naked at all, even changing clothes. My first time I sat by my locker after playing basketball to change clothes. I also walked to the showers naked. I was in open view of everyone. A guy about my age simply avoided looking at me, not like it was a big deal, but a guy about 20 saw me and nearly ran out of the room. I wondered then if etiquette had changed. Now I know from most of these posts that it has. I am flabbergasted that nudity is now frowned upon. Goid grief. In Ancient Greece the men we naked even for the sports!

This post was edited

This topic is a favorite peeve I have. I am 71 andattend an athletic club nearby to swim and take a steam, maybejacuzzi. The men's locker room has an open gang shower and myobservation over the past few years is that we older guys are quitecomfortable being nude in front of each other, but that the youngerguys (under 30 or so) are much more modest, even to the point ofshowering in bathing suits or being in the steam room in bathingsuits. They also tend to do the surfer things when gettingdressed-- towel around waist covering their privates, slippingunderwear and pants on and off under the towel. And this from ageneration that texts pictures of their genitals to friends. Around2005 I went to Boy Scout Camp with my grandson, and while Iunderstand why they had separate showers for the boys and the men,they required both groups to wear bathing suits when showering. Iunderstand the policy for the boys, worried as the BSA is aboutsexual predation (and these boys go to schools where they don'tshower for phys ed), but the same policy for the adult men?Showering in a bathing suit is, well, dumb. I think I can handleseeing other naked adult men. I grew up in the 1950s-early60s, andphys ed in both junior high school and high school required showersat the end of the period (the coaches stood in the doorway of thecoaches' office looking out to the locker room and handed outtowels-- you had to be dripping wet to get a towel to prove youtook a shower. There were more and less modest boys in those nudelocker room days, but it provided a valuable lesson in being lessembarrassed about the body. I was an only child so did not havesiblings (esp a brother) to talk with or to compare my development.So the junior high locker room, which had the full spectrum ofdevelopment from the 7th graders just entering puberty to the 9thgraders with their developed genitals, pubic hair, and so on.Seeing all these boys, seeing where my development stood in thepack, and seeing the enormous variety of bodies and pace ofdevelopment was an extremely valuable experience for me. And I amsorry that today's young men (except those on sports teams) aredenied this experience and what it teaches.
Very well put. I have made these same observations with the same
conclusions. I am 61 and grew up with the same conditions and
expectations as written here. It's a sad state of affairs when
youths are raised this way with a constant conditioning their naked
body is something they must keep hidden even from companions of the
same gender. And I resent that out of some warped sense of
propriety or overzealous need for protectiveness for young people,
adults are forced to do ridiculous things like take a cleansing
shower or sauna in bathing suits. One thing I want to add is that I
noted the exception made about kids on sports teams being the only
ones who shower together. I will tell you with sadness that I have
a niece who is now 25 and who played volleyball, field hockey and
lacrosse all through middle school and high school and she was
never required to shower after practice or games. I have two
nephews, one 15 and one 12 who are both on multiple sports teams,
basketball, baseball, hockey and soccer. None of them have ever
showered with their teams. None of the members of any of their
teams are required to shower. They come home in their sweaty
uniforms and shower at home. They ride home as teams in buses in
their uniforms from away games and shower at home. It's incredibly
unsanitary, unhealthy and downright wrong but it is the current
state of affairs. And their parents support it because they don't
want kids exposed to nudity.

This post was edited

No, they haven't change for what a men locker room concerns.

This post was edited

I was shocked that boy's locker room at my son's HS had a shower but it was used for storage. Not possible to take a shower.

Just a few years ago, I was at a private HS during Christmas break, borrowing some of their gym equipment. I stopped in the locker room to piss. There were dirty gym clothes everywhere. And the smell was overwhelming. It was already a few days into the holiday, so surely it had been days since any of the kids had been there. I didn't see the shower but it was pretty obvious the boys were not using it, or even washing their gym clothes.

This post was edited

Our children are the victims of agenda pushed by teaching. Our teachers have ou students undivided attention and promote their own personal views. Not sure who is to blame and more. Teachers fording it or ourselves for stepping in more with our teachers or their strong unions.As a teacher, I can assure you that the vast majority of us wish our students would shower after PE. We are the ones who have to put up with their stench after gym class. I am not sure where you got the idea that we are pushing an anti-nudity(?) agenda on anyone, but it's incorrect. Changes have occurred in gym routines mainly because of litigious parents and the shifting of societal views on nudity. It has nothing to do with teachers or their "strong unions." I have taught for 27 years and the only discussions I have heard on gym showering is that we wish kids were required to shower after PE.

This post was edited

In the uk things are very much the same. I go to a gym a reasonably decent one in fact and was there yesterday when a boy well i say boy. He was 17/18 ish. He came in from the gym to the locker room. Still fully dressed wrapped a towel around him and stripped underneath it, the towel fell to the floor and he was mortified quickly covering his cock and balls with his hands picked up the towel and ran to the showers. This is pretty standard in there. Teens 13/14 to mid 20s are all the same they have a pathological fear of being seen in the flesh naked for some reason. There are a few of us who are happy to strip sit shower and change covering nothing up. Ive even heard some say dont go in the sauna in the locker room you have to go naked there. Go to the one by the pool. You dont HAVE to go naked but many do mostly older guys and a few of us younger ones. Most younger wear shorts or keep their boxers on. Many also now ive noticed dont even go into the locker room at all they comein to the thm go straight to work out then go home. Why why why

This post was edited

I believe it is getting worse. My teenage son and his friends are super concerned about nudity to the extent they wear underwear under their soccer shorts and anything else. He is horrified when I tell him we all used to strip off and take a shower at school after PE. Nowadays they dont even have showers at the schools.DaveSome schools don't even have PE anymore. It's a very strange trend in the US.
And then they wonder why kids are getting fatter. If they don't do PE as kids they certainly aren't going to do it as adults

This post was edited

This country has always deemed nudity as taboo!! When I was a teenager in high school we had an open shower and it was nothing for us boys to be nude in the shower, but some would go straight to their lockers and get dress as fast as they could!! This was in the mid 60's, but there were 5 or 6 of us that hung out all the time, we skinny dipped together stayed at each other homes and showered the nudity didn't bother us!! Move 5 years ahead and I'm in the Navy now and every thing is open bay!! There were those of us that shaved nude after showers, did our laundry nude, and hung the laundry up nude!! You were in a company with 80 other men and basically no one was shy!! Shipboard duty you share everything with men and the nudity didn't bother us!! Now we head to the last 2 years of my Naval career 89-91, I'm station at McDonnell/Douglas at the NavPro Office in St. Louis!! There 10 men and 1 female!! Every Friday we would all meet at Hazlewood West High School for PT!! The men I was stationed there with showered covered and got dressed ASAP, I could never figure out why we all had shipboard duty!! The Gunny and I just took our time to shower and dress never once covering up!! I haven't been to a gym in many years and probably won't be at another one as I have my own total gym to work out on!! But the way men today feel about nudity is the way they were raised!! Men over 40 are not as shy or turned off by nudity as those younger than us!! I'm 66 and I have been a nudist since I was a kid!! Though not raised nudist, but come from an open house where if you saw your parents nude they weren't running to cover up!! Today's generation is one that I don't understand!! We were born nude, so why be ashamed of your body!!!

This post was edited

This country has always deemed nudity as taboo!! When I was a teenager in high school we had an open shower and it was nothing for us boys to be nude in the shower, but some would go straight to their lockers and get dress as fast as they could!! This was in the mid 60's, but there were 5 or 6 of us that hung out all the time, we skinny dipped together stayed at each other homes and showered the nudity didn't bother us!! Move 5 years ahead and I'm in the Navy now and every thing is open bay!! There were those of us that shaved nude after showers, did our laundry nude, and hung the laundry up nude!! You were in a company with 80 other men and basically no one was shy!! Shipboard duty you share everything with men and the nudity didn't bother us!! Now we head to the last 2 years of my Naval career 89-91, I'm station at McDonnell/Douglas at the NavPro Office in St. Louis!! There 10 men and 1 female!! Every Friday we would all meet at Hazlewood West High School for PT!! The men I was stationed there with showered covered and got dressed ASAP, I could never figure out why we all had shipboard duty!! The Gunny and I just took our time to shower and dress never once covering up!! I haven't been to a gym in many years and probably won't be at another one as I have my own total gym to work out on!! But the way men today feel about nudity is the way they were raised!! Men over 40 are not as shy or turned off by nudity as those younger than us!! I'm 66 and I have been a nudist since I was a kid!! Though not raised nudist, but come from an open house where if you saw your parents nude they weren't running to cover up!! Today's generation is one that I don't understand!! We were born nude, so why be ashamed of your body!!!

I think you hit the age reference right on the head. I just don't understand why the younger generations are so ashamed of their body in this internet age with so much nudity readily available and the different media they partake in. It seems that the acceptance of social nudity is going backwards in this country. It still just blows my mind when I am sitting in the sauna naked and clothed guys come in and are initially shocked that a naked person is in there sweeting in 170 degree dry heat. I think I have been joined three times by another naked person in the sauna and steam room. I guess there are a few of us and I will always go openly nude in the locker room.

This post was edited

This site is only available to users 18 and over and we use cookies

We use cookies for functionality, social media, and google analytics. To view our cookie policy please view Our Cookie Policy