Naked In The Kitchen.
This group is all those who clean, cook and prepare the food competely naked in the kitchen.
Blue Ribbon Blueberry PieReturn to Discussions
Blue Ribbon Blueberry Pie
Serving size: 8 to 10 servings
Preparation time: 50 mins
Cooking time: 1 hour 5 mins
2 3/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour or Pastry Flour Blend
2 tablespoons buttermilk powder, optional
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 cup (16 tablespoons) unsalted butter or vegetable shortening, or a combination
6 to 9 tablespoons ice water
8 cups (about 2 pounds) fresh blueberries, washed and drained
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup Instant ClearJel OR 1/2 cup King Arthur Pie Filling Enhancer OR 1/2 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/4 teaspoon Madagascar Cinnamon
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons butter, melted
sparkling sugar or cinnamon-sugar, for sprinkling on the top crust
1. To make the crust: Combine the flour, buttermilk powder, and salt. Work in the fat in two batches, leaving some pieces as large as your thumbnail.
2. Sprinkle in ice water 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with a fork and adding water until the dough is completely cohesive.
3. Divide the dough in two pieces; one should be about twice as big as the other. Wrap in plastic, and chill for 30 minutes before rolling.
4. Roll the crust about 1/8" thick, and about 12" to 13" wide, large enough to fit a 9" deep-dish pie pan (at least 1 1/2" deep). Place the crust in the pan, and refrigerate the pie while you preheat the oven to 425F.
5. To make the filling: In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, thickener, and cinnamon.
6. Add the berries, lemon juice, and melted butter. Scoop the mixture into the prepared crust.
7. Roll out the top crust, making a lattice if you like; place it over the berries. Trim any excess overhang, and crimp the edges together. Cut several slashes to allow steam to escape (if you haven't made a lattice crust). Spritz with water, and sprinkle with sparkling sugar or cinnamon-sugar.
8. Bake the pie for 15 minutes, then reduce the oven heat to 350F and bake for another 40 to 50 minutes, covering the edges if they seem to be browning too quickly. When done, the filling will be bubbling, and the crust golden brown.
9. Remove the pie from the oven, and cool it for at least 1 hour before serving.
Shared from my Recipe Keeper - the easy way to collect, organize and share your recipes on your mobile, tablet and PC.
Download for free today at https://recipekeeperonline.com