Hospital Nudism.

In the late 1700s nudity came to be linked with hygiene. Doctors advised people to bathe their bodies in the vital elements of the air, sun and water. Water bathing became a popular leisure activity and air and sun bathing was turned into a nature cure therapy. The first nature cure sanatoriums were opened in the mid-1800s. People lived in open-air huts, and bathed naked in the sun, or even in the snow. Sunlight and fresh air were used in an effort to treattuberculosis (TB) patients in open-air hospitals.

This topic was edited
RE: Hospital Nudism.

First there was nudism, and then came prudism. And that was progress?As with many aspects of modern civilization, perhaps the word progress needs to be redefined.

This post was edited

Medical procedure nudism and prudism...I just had a pre-op Dr's appt yesterday. I had to have several procedures done that required me to take my t shirt off... 12 lead EKG, Blood Pressure, blood drawn ... etc. The young female medical assistant took me back and says ... "I need to take an EKG. I'll leave the room so you can undress from the waist up and I'll be back." She had to leave so I could take my shirt off??She returned, took the EKG then says ... "ok, I'll leave so you can get dressed. I'll meet you in the hallway." I thought about it and just slipped on my zip up sweatshirt. She then asked me to remove my arm from the sweat shirt to draw blood. I just took the damn thing off. She took my blood. Then she says ... you can get dressed and we'll go into another room. She asked me questions and then asked for me to take my arm out of the sweatshirt so she could take my blood pressure... what a pain in the butt. These health care "professionals" now have a problem with seeing a man's bare chest? I'm not done ...I finish with the Dr but they wanted a chest xray. I went down stair to the imaging office where I was taken down a hall, told to take off my shirt and put on a gown ... put on a gown for a chest xray...for a man!? These health care professionals have all gotten too skittish around bare skin and it's really sad. What does it say when these professionals get embarrassed or are skittish about seeing bare skin on their patients!But in retrospect... I had a procedure done a year ago. Post op ... I was lying in bed, waking up and the nurse came in to check the procedure site, groin area. She was professional but made no bones about exposing me from the waist down. When I recovered enough to go home, she came in and helped my wife slipp on my sweatpants. She didn't ask if I had underwear ... which I didn't. She just said to my wife, "let me help you, help him." They got my pants up, my wife was gathering our belongings and the nurse helped me with my shirt. She was professional and mature and that's the way all these health professionals should be.

This post was edited

AndyDi: I think you will find this is done for the patient's benefit rather than for the staff. Remember that now some folks are not comfortable exposing themselves to people, partly in some cases due to religios hang-ups.
MOW: I went on a guided tour of Brighton last year, during it the guide mentioned how it used to be fashionable to drink the seawater, because of the health benefits it gave. YUK!!!

This post was edited

I think I may have written about this elsewhere, but what the heck?
My last physical I asked the nurse if I had to mess with that silly gown that doesn't close in the back. She said I didn't, so I just stripped and laid a towel across my lap while sitting on the table. My doc comes in and doesn't bat an eye. He, of course, has seen me from every possible angle.
At one point he's examining me for skin lesions. So, I'm standing there naked and we start a conversation. I stand there naked for 5 or 10 minutes while we have a conversation totally NOT about my physical. Eventually, he gets on with the examination. No clothes were no problem.
He does live in my neighborhood, so he's jogged by while I was using my outdoor shower (which is visible from the street but has knee to shoulder translucent privacy screen). I know he know's I'm not shy. But, I just haven't come out and said "I'm a nudist" to him." Bought time, I guess.

This post was edited

People...these are medical professionals! It's really difficult to understand why a "nudist" would post here and try and defend what it is they are embarrassed about. Come on ... isn't the fact that these medical professionals are embarrassed about the human body ... enough to convince us that they are in the wrong profession? I know there' s litigation issues, harrassment issues but are you kidding me ... I'm going into a dr's office for an examination prior to an operation and they are concerned they are going to see my bare chest!!!? Geeze ... if those patients are that concerned about being "seen" ... then maybe they'd like to remain sick or injured and remain ... prudish, but I expect my health care professionals to be professional and mature. If they are that concerned about my bare skin... they are in the wrong business and profession. If you're a person that's so concerned about having your bare skin seen by a health care professional ... DON'T GO SEE ONE! LOL

This post was edited

I dont know why the gown or underware, she saw every body part I have and parts my wife never saw.My wife doesn't even know such parts exist.

This post was edited

I can't tell if I'm off topic. But when I'm at the venue I'm a member of three/four showers a day is not uncommon.
~Dancing on cinder blocks as stepper blocks for fun 'n bit of cardio in the sun I keep the water hose handy to squirt directly
overhead. Cools one down quite instantaneous and brings about joy of as child once again~
all said it does wonderful things for the inside of my head~Now that's therapy. ;)
I need no validation that ima nudist acting brave/carefree to bare my chest or arse in public. that I feel would be poser.
just follow protocol/rules and enjoy being a minority. :)

This post was edited

A nurse who cracked a saucy joke as she helped to restrain a patient having an epileptic fit was unfairly fired, the Appeal Court has ruled. Laura Bowater, 34, quipped, 'It's been a few months since I have been in this position with a man underneath me' as she straddled his naked body while doctors tried to give him an injection. The trousers of the 'extremely strong' 31-year-old patient had been removed so doctors could inject his buttock and Ms Bowater sat on his ankles to control his flailing legs.
So reports the Daily Mail. They go on to say thata panel at Watford Employment Tribunal upheld her unfair dismissal claim but North West London Hospitals NHS Trust successfully challenged it at the Employment Appeal Tribunal. The NHS Trust did what? Who works for these outfits? Conservative MP Nadine Dorries, herself a former nurse, called the sacking insane. I get the impression that insanity is a top requisite for working in the NHS these days.

This post was edited