The Dutch Nude Entrance Exam

If you can't tolerate public nudity, you can't come!

The Netherlands is famous for its liberal attitudes toward drugs and prostitution, and millions of people flock to the capital city Amsterdam every year for a taste of the good life. But those who wish to reside there long-term face an entrance examination.

When issuing residence visas, 138 Dutch embassies around the world show applicants a 105-minute film that would be rated R if it were ever shown on the silver screen. The film includes such scenes as gay men kissing and topless women on a beach. If you take offense to such activities, you are not permitted to take up residence in the Netherlands.
Of course, there is more to the test than watching naked women on the beach without flinching. After the film, various unrelated questions are asked regarding Dutch history and geography.

This was 3-16-2006 and I don't know if it is still exists. What are your thoughts?

The Dutch Nude Entrance Exam

This topic was edited
RE:The Dutch Nude Entrance Exam

For every sentence I've written, a hundred more could be. But this sketches some aspects of this fascinating, sometimes disturbing and certainly ongoing phenomenon. To be continued?
I'm learning from your wisdom. Can't wait for part 2 :)

This post was edited

It will remain a puzzle for many of us to what extent our surroundings helped to create our naturism and to what extent this might indeed be genetic.
I truly appreciate your thoughts and the way you think. It's really a puzzle: "to what extent our surroundings helped to create our naturism and to what extent this might indeed be genetic". Any thoughts group members?

This post was edited

One difference, however, is the 'nature or nurture' question. It will remain a puzzle for many of us to what extent our surroundings helped to create our naturism and to what extent this might indeed be genetic. (This applies to so many things and the 'nature or nurture' discussion is pretty universal.) The difference is that in most cases we were raised by heterosexual parents (otherwise we'd not be here!), so the 'nurture' aspect doesn't really apply to being gay. It's also fascinating why, being genetic, homosexuality has survived the usual evolutionary trends. You'd expect non-reproductive trends to die out. Could be that until recently gays got married anyway due to social pressures and/or unhappiness with their 'condition'. (Unfortunately, this is still happening, but hopefully to a lesser extent in countries that are more liberal.) But I continue to find the why's and wherefore's of all this fascinating and hope some readers might, too.

I see homosexuality as a genetic trait to help humanity survive and adapt. Human offspring obviously require male and female genetic material - heterosexuality. Beyond birth, offspring also need a strong tribal unit to survive, and this is where the genetic disposition for including gay uncles and grandmothers is strong. Parents need to do more than parent young offspring when they are in their life prime, which makes homosexuality a genetic strong suit if not essential. Homosexuality is also adaptive in providing women with healthy sperm when the tribe requires it. I personally think that this is the jist of Biblical references regarding homosexuality: we should prioritize the tribe's survival over our own selfish desires. The injunction on not wasting sperm is more due to a belief in their scarcity than morality in my opinion.

Is there a nudist gene? I don't think so. There is a gene to be born naked, and it's universal. Beyond that, we wear clothes to protect ourselves and reduce ourselves from vulnerability, both real and imagined. Our perception of this vulnerability is largely learned behavior, but there may be other factors such as the skin's need for sunlight to make Vitamin D which is genetic. Other than that, we can all choose our relationship with textiles and the greater housing of our homes and communities.

This post was edited