Driving Nude

Anyone know if it is legal to drive nude in FL?
If so, does that include driving in a convertible?

This topic was edited
RE:Driving Nude

Being a nudist and a part-time Floridian I have had reason to ask the same type of question in the form of "What does FL law prohibit in regard to public nudity/indecent exposure. The FL statute thus states in chapter 800.03 of the FL code; "Exposure of sexual organs.It is unlawful to expose or exhibit ones sexual organs in public or on the private premises of another, or so near thereto as to be seen from such private premises in a vulgar or indecent manner, or to be naked in public except in any place provided or set apart for that purpose. Violation of this section is a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083. A mothers breastfeeding of her baby does not under any circumstance violate this section."

The wording here is tricky and borderline ambiguous, as it does in Iowa where I reside much of the year. If I may, let me dissect this as best as I can given that I have no law degree. "Exposure of sexual organs" which is virtually impossible not to do as a nudist. This I assume refers to penis, vagina and testicles but not breasts. It may be presumptuous of me to exclude breasts from the category of sexual organs but from my experience the function of female breasts occurs approximately 9 months after the act of sex. "Expose or exhibit...in public". If no one can see, or reasonably should not see, then that should exclude the terms "expose" and "exhibit". "In public or on the private premises of another" What is "in public" should be self explanatory. But what about on the private premises of another? What if you were invited to disrobe or it was predetermined that you and or others would disrobe? Such as at the private premises of a nudist friend or friends. Or the private premises of the property I rent from another? Or on the private premises of a girlfriend prior to sex? Is law enforcement going to knock on doors to see who is going nude? I hardly doubt that. "Or so near thereto as to be seen from such private premises". This could include your own back yard, patio or garden which can be seen from a neighboring house. Now if this isn't tricky enough, here comes the ambiguous part. "In a vulgar or indecent manner". What is vulgar or indecent? That my nudist friends is completely subjective. If a tenant of an aforementioned house adjacent to your property should complain to law enforcement the responding officer may decide that you, the nudist, had a reasonable expectation of privacy and that your activity was non-sexual in nature e.g. sunbathing, swimming, gardening etc therefore not vulgar or indecent. However another responding officer may see any nudity regardless of activity as vulgar and indecent. This may lead to a citation or arrest. Then in court you have the same issues with the judge who may decide that your case does not fit the definition of vulgar or indecent. But another judge may view any and all nudity as vulgar and indecent and issue costly fines or life changing penalties such as in many states, Iowa being one, being required to register as a sex offender for up to 10 years or more. 10 years in the case of Iowa. The exception in Florida thank goodness is "except in any place provided or set apart for that purpose." In Florida there is only one public legal place set apart for that purpose and that is the famous Haulover Beach at John MacArthur State Park. You will have to check other places to be sure, but although not "legal", there are some beaches that tolerate nudity.

In Florida I have indulged in a skinny dip here and there getting into the ocean deep enough that once because of water color and the attenuation of the water it's impossible to tell what color my trunks are they come off. In Iowa I have driven nude which is easier as a man although the Iowa law clearly omits female breasts from the indecent exposure law. (See local ordinances for contradictions to the state law) Most people are more concerned with their own driving than who around them is driving nude. Also, I've learned that people don't see what they don't expect to see most of the time. Two lane highways are best, but in daytime and on four lane highways I keep something handy like my shorts or a sarong to cover what is necessary to be legal in Iowa in case of a passing vehicle taller than mine. Night time is a different situation. I love driving through the country nude with windows open feeling summer's heavy night air on me when coming home after working out of town.

Bottom line in Florida - the phrase that is most worrisome to me is "to be naked in public" (with the exception...) Side note; I draw a distinction between being nude as going unclothed by your own choice and comfort without a sexual component involved, and nakedness as being unclothed not by your choice due to poverty or whatever or including actions overtly sexual in nature. As I read it FL basically has made it illegal to be nude anywhere except Haulover beach and the private resorts like Lake Como near Lutz or Cypress Cove near Kissimmee. I'd say better safe than sorry. My tips on how I drive nude may help you, but BE CAREFUL.

This post was edited