Sunday July 18

Is anyone planning on going to Apollo tomorrow? And is the time still noon? Same for Playalinda?

This topic was edited
RE:Sunday July 18

Yes it's still noon before they let you in and there are several vehicles heading for lot 5 at Apollo. Get there early and Enjoy...

This post was edited

One of my regrets is never visiting area when the Space Shuttle launched. That would have been a highlight in a lifetime; naked on the beach and watching the launch. Too bad that doesn't happen anymore.

This post was edited

Last summer by chance we were at Playalinda when there was a launch. Amazing to see. Yes the place was packed, well the non nude parts. Not sure how they do it now.

This post was edited

The Mars launch is scheduled for July 30th

This post was edited

The Mars launch is scheduled for July 30th

Both Apollo and Playalinda are a part of the Canaveral National Seashore Park. Apollo is just to the north of Cape Canaveral and Playalinda is just south with a stretch of about 12 miles connecting the two. You have to get a permit to go on that section in between which I have vowed to do and ride a bike (beach cruiser) from one to the other one day.

So are Playalinda and Apollo both open for the launches? Lots 5 and 13? That might be worth going down to see. I was under the impression that those were closed and you had to go to lot 4 or 12. Anyone know?

This post was edited

Never been to either but can you still view the launch from lots 4 and 12 if that's was all that was available?

This post was edited

Never been to either but can you still view the launch from lots 4 and 12 if that's was all that was available?

I'm sure you can. It's only a mile or so farther away. We can see the launches from Jacksonville if it's not cloudy although not nearly as impressive as being down there.

This post was edited

I know for a fact they close lot #5 at Apollo for any launch.

But do they then allow lot 4 for clothing optional? I think I read that somewhere.

This post was edited

t must depend on the type of rocket being launched. I was at lot 5 a couple of weeks ago when a Space X launch took place at about 5pm.

This post was edited

Yes, it does depend on the rocket and cargo, also the orbital insertion path. If the rocket is really large , it could lay a lot of debris on the beach if it blew up. Some satellites and planetary exploration craft use plutonium as a power source, and if they had an accident on the pad or in flight , it could ruin your beach day. Finally, some paths to geostationary orbit take a route closer to the coast, and again if the had a malfunction, it could rain on your parade.

This post was edited