First Time to Lake Powell

My wife and I are planning on trailering our 22 ft. Bayliner Cruiser to Lake Powell from Michigan in early/mid June. Our boat has a cruising range of about 120 miles before refueling. We have done numerous land based trips to the desert, but this will be our first time on Lake Powell and we are looking for advice/suggestions for our time there.

I have researched and made notes on the legal requirements for transport and boating in Utah. Out boat is in winter storage and we are not putting it in water until Lake Powell so we will meet the 30 day dry storage requirement.

I have been compiling a list of "favorite" spots that people post online. Are there any thoughts from people in this group? I like to be naked on the boat as much as I can, and if it is more secluded I can convince my wife to join me. So we are looking for more secluded places that are still beautiful, and allow us to get out and hike. We would like to see Rainbow Bridge (I know... not nude here) , probably the Escalante River arm. Other than that we have an open slate while we review peoples thoughts.

Would you recommend putting in at Page or Bullfrog?
Are there acceptable methods of tying off/anchoring in narrow canyons that may not have a beach to land if we continue on paddle boards?
What hazards should we be aware of (both land and water)? i.e. rocks, snakes, overnight anchorage, flashfloods etc.
Does TowBoat service Lake Powell? (Hopefully we don't need it.... just like to be prepared)

I'm sure I will have more questions, but this at least gets the conversation started.

Thanks in advance!

This topic was edited
RE:First Time to Lake Powell

Absolutely put your boat in at Page. Much more secure and exceptional facilities. Additionally, you can go to the grocery store in Page, AZ, and save a ton of $$. Your range is fine on your boat refueling is plentiful, albeit expensive. My honest recommendation is to get on the lake and explore. Make sure you beach by noon each day otherwise slim pickings also June is the height of the season so it will be busy. Once you clear the marina you can be nude your entire trip if you choose.

Are there acceptable methods of tying off/anchoring in narrow canyons rope tie is the only acceptable securing in addition to beaching.
paddle boards? By all means, bring the toys and have fun.
What hazards should we be aware of (both land and water)? i.e. rocks, snakes, overnight anchorage, flashfloods etc. Yes, Yes, and Yes. Rocks are the worst enemy and the level on the lake is very low and expected to get worse. Rats coming aboard is the most aggravating thing so pull in your gangplank when not in use, they also can come on board from the ropes. A little cyanine pepper and water in a squirt bottle will do the trick. Spray the ropes and you will not have a problem.
Wind storms can pop up and make a mess too.
Does TowBoat service Lake Powell? (Hopefully we don't need it.... just like to be prepared) - YES!

This post was edited

Thank you! That is very helpful information, especially about the rats.

This post was edited

Tow service yes $240 an hour so make sure your boat is in good shape.you might look at bullfrog. As it's closer to you. Definitely visit rainbow bridge and escalante. Dangling rope is a mid lake fuel option but gas is pricey there. Make sure your boat has a potty. And take advantage of the floating ones. They will give you a free map but I would recomend buying one of the nicer ones. We bough a laminated one it shows you all the ruins and other land marks. Lake Powell is amazing you will not be dissapointed.

This post was edited

Yes, the boat has a small bathroom.... one of the points that sold my wife on buying it. LOL!

There are floating bathrooms on the lake? Cool.... how do you go about locating them?

Where did you get the laminated map that has details of landmarks? That would be handy with researching places to visit.

Thanks for the info.

This post was edited

The floating bathrooms are located all over the lake. You can pick up the map with the locations at any marina. Laminated maps are sold at the marina stores. The only thing I would discourage is we are not a fan of Bull Frog. Wahweap is renovated and just minutes to Page, AZ. A Safeway grocery store is in Page and so you can stock at much more reasonable prices. Bull Frog does not afford a town close by. Additionally, it is not nearly as nice and clean as Wahweap. Dangling Rope is not open as of yet and close early last year due to COVID. Keep checking the marina websites for updates that occur daily come Spring.

https://www.lakepowell.com/marinas/lake-powell-marinas-experience/

This post was edited

I was not able to get to Lake Powell in 2020 but I know floating restrooms on Lake Mead were closed for covid restrictions. You may want to double check their availability if you plan to rely on them. Hopefully they are all re-opened in 2021.

This post was edited

No they are open

Floating bathroom
Hours:
Open Closes 11:30PM

This post was edited

Sunseeker I have only been to bullfrog . Do you feel it's worth the extra drive to pit in at the south end. Last I say dangling rope was just closed for the season. When we pulled in to dangling rope last year it was open they were just being careful. For me the marina is just where I put in and take out. I bring my groceries and stay on the lake most of the time. We did find last time it was nice to go to halls crossing around lunch time . To get some ice and use running water. The laminated map I mentioned can be bough unlaminated and you might find it online. I would tell you what it is but it's in the boat packed away. Lake Powell is an amazing place with so much to see and experience and everytime you go it is different.

This post was edited

For most unlike you, they are not prepared to dump the boat and go. They will need groceries and supplies all of which you can get at a very reasonable price in Page. We are docked in Page Marina and we have been to Bull Frog twice and both times I did not care for the marina, rude attendants, and did not care for the prices either. I guess it boils down to what your needs are. A virgin to the Lake I really feel like they are much better off at Wahweap because the list of stuff we need to get can get very long for the first trip out and the prices at Bull Frog for those supplies is highway robbery because they are remote. If you are experienced and know what you need then Bull Frog would work.

One additional note, we picked up friends at Bull Frog last year and they spent 5 days with us. When they returned their truck had been broken into. At Wahweap they have 24-hour security. I realize you can be robbed anyplace but that was like the last straw for me.

Dangling Rope was closed in the early stages of Covid it will be open this year. ALL of the marinas are suffering from a lack of employees as most relied on the Navajo Nation for labor as of today they are still in quarantine.

This post was edited

Good information to know. Not knowing much about Lake Powell it is hard to know what questions to ask, so the experience of those who have been there is invaluable. Thanks to all who have contributed into to help us in our planning.

This post was edited