Pre Stretching Tips

I have only been doing yoga for a short time but I am still not very flexible at all. I can do most of the poses in class without a problem. My balance is really good but I can not do these big stretches. Same with my pilates class. My body in general is super super tight...so this is nothing new to me. I am wondering if anyone else can relate or knows of some good stretching tips or videos on youtube that would be helpful. I think I need to. spend more time stretching out my body to go further with my yoga. Looking around in class I seem to be one of the least flexible. LOL

This topic was edited
RE:Pre Stretching Tips

Hey man, saw youre post. I am still not super flexible after years of practice. BUT, when I started it took about a year to see a difference. My suggestion is pigeon pose. Spend some time in that pose on each leg for about 3 mins a day at least. Mens hips take a lot to open up.

This post was edited

Suggest you try yin yoga and yoga mobility. They both open up the joints and the tissue around the joints for great flexibility and range of motion. Remember some of us have limited flexibility built into our body structure.

This post was edited

Thank you both for the suggestions. I think I definitely have a built in lack of flexibility but I am not sure if it is from a back injury or just the way I am. I was planning on visiting a chiropractor to see if adjustments can help. We work in front of a mirror in the class and I can see my body is off center. Without over sharing too much, I do feel at times that my body is releasing past trauma as I have these occasional brief cries as I was doing yoga. I love that connection with your body doing yoga and pilates.

This post was edited

As suggested Yin Yoga...you can find classes online will help eventually...the way I think of it is this: I may not be getting more flexible but at least I'm not tightening up any more...if that helps...

This post was edited

Thank you so much for the tips. I will definitely look for some videos to try at home. I also like that idea about not getting less flexible. I love what yoga and pilates has done for my balance and core.

This post was edited

Great! You seem to have a good outlook...I think a lot of people think they need to be able to fold in half before they even join a class but you don't start driving in a formula one car...you build up and learn...take your time, there's no rush!

This post was edited