RE:Lawn cutting

I don't have a lawn to mow really, (actually a lot more than a lawn) just a garden to keep tended and the rest either grows up or gets occasionally weed wacked, too technical of terrine to get a mower around on it much. Since our 80 acres starts a half mile off the main road it's pretty isolated. But I've been mowing naked for awhile, with a 59 year old tractor, 45-50 year old flail chopper, and a trailer I built to catch the grass. Then I have to hand fork it out of the trailer. (need a dump trailer next) So its all day day after day nude work in the hot sun, just have to drink plenty of water and I will have to start taking buckets of water out to douse myself when I get too hot. I'm well past any issue with sunburn, I don't sunburn very easy anyway, a little build-up to it in the spring and I'm good for all day. Got some 30 acres to work on deep in an isolated valley behind a locked gate next to our place. So it's an ongoing project as much time as I can put in on it. Timber company land leased by hunting club. for many years I made hay on the fields for my horses, then got rid of them and stopped making hay, Now I started mowing it again to make compost from the chopped grass and weeds. The hunt club is happy to get it mowed again, they were hard put to get it done, only doing a limited amount of bushhogging once a year. the dry stuff I mowed early spring was too low nitrogen to compost very fast, I used most of it mulching my fruit trees. Now I started mowing the fresh green growth and its getting hot fast in the heaps. I will start turning it with the skid steer loader pretty soon. Gonna have a whole lot of nice compost pretty quickly. The plan is to use it to set up a vegetable growing operation, small commercial, and get it organized where I can hire others to keep it going. Try to tweak fertility feed to maximize nutrition and flavor, aim for the top end gourmet market. There are some unique tricks to getting super flavor grown in, I don't know anyone doing it anywhere in any commercial scale. Our mountain land doesn't have much agriculture space, so compact production of things that will produce a lot in a small space is the way to go. or terrace the mountainside. I can do several acres of apples eventually. but that takes a lot of work yet to clear the land and get the trees planted and grown. I've got 20 started and growing good. Except the over size ones I tried to move, some of them aren't doing so good, not surprising. It's nice work, not always the most comfortable, but not having to wear anything helps with the comfort when its warm to hot. As for the huntin club fellas, it seems to be primarily a deer club. I saw no one ever show up for turkey season this spring, which ended 2 weeks ago. they come in when deer season starts late fall. By then I'll be done mowing for the year I'm sure. And then if I'm not, they show up mostly weekends and I work during the week. I probably be hard to get all 30 acres mowed 3 times this summer. Might make it twice, and might not get all 30 done. Some of it needs a lot of saplings cut yet that have taken over since I was mowing hay.

This post was edited