Waukegan North Beach

I'd been meaning to check out the Waukegan North Beach for a while -- it's been mentioned on TN a couple times, but I can't find a thread just for it.

The North Beach runs all the way up behind the old power station, but there's a lot of trees and dunes blocking any visibility. Unfortunately, it's one long, pretty straight beach so you've got to go a ways to be out of site of the muggles. But it's no further than from the lot to the Dead River at IBSP South Unit, and an easy walk on packed sand (yes there's good sand on this beach, something IBSP has lost). I'd guess that once you're past the first clump of bushes near the shore, you're safe. There were only two people out that far: one guy in long sleeves and shorts, I think he might be a bird watcher, and the other guy nude, didn't cover up, I chatted with him for a minute or two, there's no rangers up there, and no, he's not on TN. There's also a lot of fallen trees which provide privacy but visibility of people approaching (but there weren't any). I'll definitely be back.

Note: don't be fooled by the trails at the north end of the parking lot -- there's a long pond paralleling the lot and the beach, and the trail curves back to the main trail at the south end of the lot.

The only thing this place needs is more nudists!

This topic was edited
RE:Waukegan North Beach

It sounds like something worth checking out! For clarification, it looks like the North Beach is part of Waukegan Municipal Beach, which has parking, and then it's over a mile until you get to the area of the closed power station. Are there any options to close further north that you're aware of?

This post was edited

Hello. The only entrance to the Municipal beach is at the south end of the parking lot not far from where the portable bathrooms and picnic tables are. Once on the beach go north about one mile and thats where the power station is. Theres trees along that area as well. So basically one way in and go back the same way out. The water is shallow and very nice along the entire area.

This post was edited

This is my second summer using this beach. Weekend you have to pay to enter but on weekdays its free. The nude section is actually behind the power plant and not part of the municipal beach. Same rules apply as far as keeping something to cover with handy. The ATV seems to stop at the end of the municipal beach. Its a great spot and you can really see people coming up the beach so you have some warning. Most turn around about 3/4 of the way.

This post was edited

Would the trails around the pond be safe for a nude hike?

The pond that I saw is parallel to the parking lot, so it's too public for nude hiking. I made it to the beach on one of the last warmer days of the summer. My timing turned out to be terrible, as I left work a bit earlier and it kept getting colder and darker as I drove in traffic to the beach. I stripped for a quick hike and ended up running back to my car just as a huge storm moved in. But it was exhilerating and a fond memory now in the dead of winter.

From what I saw there was only one access point to the beach and it's at the south end of the parking area. The "official" beach ends where the sand narrows and then there's a tree down, but the "wild" beach continues with areas of sand, trees and bushes. Be prepared to step over downed trees and to wade a bit in the water. As far as nude hiking goes, it's always a bit of a risk, especially if you're alone and don't know what's ahead. At least I know that I'm tall hairy and scary and don't want to be an unexpected unwelcome visitor. I look forward to heading back!

This post was edited

Looks like I'll be checking that out this summer

This post was edited

Made a trip to Waukegan north beach today. 4-11-23
The weather was excellent and a warm breeze was out of the south west. Theres plenty of fresh sand along the main beach area to the south and the north area by the power plant has some more beach front as well. There was no one along the main beach area, but there were a couple of guys along the far north area wearing bathing shorts. I found a spot and got nude and got some sun for about an hour. Felt great being out there again, very peaceful. Definitely going to be out there more this summer.

This post was edited

@strato - thank you for the update. I am looking forward to giving this place a try.

This post was edited

This week we had our first weather in the mid 80s so I checked out the beach again. As stated earlier, because of all the lagoons, etc., the entrances are all on the south end, south of the old pink concrete stage facing the parking lot. From the north breakfront by the parking lot, it's 1.65 miles to the breakfront in front of the power station. At 1.00 mile the beach opens up to a large wide expanse for about a quarter mile, then there are a lot of downed trees right before the power plant where everything is fenced off along with canals prohibiting access to get to IBSP. I didn't see any beachy, open areas off the main beach, it all seems like thick reeds and forests. I went on a weekday and there were only 4-5 people away from the entrance, all of them clothed, including a single woman.

All in all, there's no secluded spot which seems like a good nudist haven. I imagine that the wide beach one mile north of the entrance is a good place to strip down, and maybe there is a strength in numbers. From a distance, it's hard to differentiate trees and their stumps from people, and I hesitate to be a sole nude if it can be interpreted as sexual behavior.

This post was edited

Finally got a chance to get back out there - first warm day since early April. There were two other nude guys out there, I chatted with each briefly. One of them said there's no enforcement, he claimed he'd even chatted with a couple police once while nude - I'm skeptical.

Boats passed by regularly, and one couple walked most of the way there but turned around long before they could have seen anyone.

But the real surprise: about 50ft north of the trail back to the parking lot (Sandpiper) was a young woman sunbathing topless. Considered telling her she could go completely nude further north, but there's no way a grey-bearded man can approach a topless 20-something without a really bad response.

This post was edited

Finally got a chance to get back out there - first warm day since early April. There were two other nude guys out there, I chatted with each briefly. One of them said there's no enforcement, he claimed he'd even chatted with a couple police once while nude - I'm skeptical.

good news - there's strength in numbers

This post was edited