FYI: Tonto National Forest has changed their policy

A group of us was at Sycamore Creek hiking a week ago and returned from the hike to be met by several law enforcement officers, including sheriff's deputies. They detained and cited several people for being nude. The policy change actually took effect Feb 2022, but now there appears to be a heightened interest in enforcing it. Here is a link to the Feb 17, 2022 order: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd997867.pdf.

This topic was edited
RE:FYI: Tonto National Forest has changed their policy

I mentioned this last June when a group was cited for public nudity. The citation required a court appearance. Most responses were it was isolated but I have not been back safer in my own backyard or SLR.

This post was edited

This really sucks. Thank you for sharing the information.

This post was edited

Need to be careful about returning or leaving parking area nude. Please no sexual behavior in parking area.

This post was edited

Thats extremely disappointing, fewer and fewer spots to visit now for hiking. Especially with the Verde hot springs being mostly inaccessible.

Looks like Tanque Verde in Tuscon is the go to now outside of formal clubs. Hope that location isnt eventually impacted too.

This post was edited

Damn, very unfortunate to hear

This post was edited

I remember a few years back the Ranger showing up. But they just drove through and didnt stop anybody or get out of their vehicles. Also back then there were textiles camping near the windmill. And some guy was walking around naked in front of the women. Naturally, the Rangers were called again.

We need to be more careful, or its gonna be shut down permanently.

This post was edited

If theyre issuing tickets for nude hiking, it is effectively shut down already. Was already seeing an uptick in textile activity, seems that may have pushed further action.

I checked LexisNexis and there is at least one indecent exposure ticket there on 3/12, the others may not have processed yet if it happened this last weekend.

Too bad we cant push for this and areas like Tanque Verde to be classified as designated areas like the magic circle.

This post was edited

Rumor has it the cruising occurring is what caused the change in policy. It was too hard to enforce, so force clothed recreation and cruising *should* go away.

This post was edited

What a shame. Thanks for the heads up.

This post was edited

Can you send me that link to the policy change. Thank you

This post was edited