April 15th

Planning a hike on April 15th in Vermont. The weather is forecast for the mid-70s (in the valley). Tentatively planning to hike Bromley Mountain from Mad Tom Gap, just west of Peru. If others want to join and have preferences over Bromley, I am open to alternatives (prefer to join with others than hike alone). Please send a direct message or post here. Meeting time is flexible but not too early to accommodate driving and time for the temperatures to get more comfortable.

This topic was edited
RE:April 15th

Working Saturday, can't take the day off on short notice. The group is growing, I hope the members are joining with the intention of participating in hikes. I encourage anyone with the day off to join in this Saturday!

This post was edited

Im interested! Coming from mass! Meeting later in the morning works better for me !

This post was edited

Hey everyone, I am new to this group moderator thing, so bear with me. I am not sure if members can create events, so I created an event for the upcoming naked hike this Saturday and sent an invitation to all the members. I do not believe the members receive a notification when events are posted under discussions, so this way all members will receive an email regarding any events planned. If anyone is planning a naked hike, please try posting it in events, and let me know if you are unable to do so and I will do it for you. I hope those joining are interested in participating in upcoming hikes and not merely window shopping. No use having 9,999 menbers but no one participates. Happy Nude Hiking!

This post was edited

Im interested! Coming from mass! Meeting later in the morning works better for me !

Great to have someone else along. I hope we can get more. Let's meet at the trailhead where the Long trail (Appalachian Trail) crosses Mad Tom Road at Mad Tom Gap (N 43.25763, W 72.93823) at 10am. There is a parking area there. This is a new hike for me so we will be exploring together. Each is responsible for his/her own gear and welfare on the trail but we are hiking in a group and etiquette applies. Looking forward to it.

This post was edited

Anyone going should click on the event tab and click on attend, thanks

This post was edited

Well, the hike was a series of reasons why this was poor planning. The road to the trailhead is not maintained in winter and, though much snow had melted, there was enough soft snow to get stuck. Trying to get out of there, I backed into a ditch and had to call for a tow truck to pull my car out. As an alternative, after losing 2 hours, we went south where I *thought* there would be less snow on the trail. We parked at the point where the Long Trail crossed the Stratton-Arlington Road. The road is not maintained west of this point and, unlike Mad Tom North Road, there are signs indicating this. The trail up Stratton Mountain was morass of mud, water, and soft snow. The primary feature of the snow was post-holing as we ascended - very tiring. There was much more water on the way down due to the temperatures through the day. The good parts were good company with a fellow freehiker, beautiful hiking weather, and the chance to get out as God intended. They (almost) overshadowed the bad parts. I did not take pics but Justme128 did - I'll leave it to him to decide whether to post anything.

This post was edited

Was it warm enough to hike naked? Sorry to hear the day had some hiccups, I guess its pushing the season a little early for VT.

This post was edited

Hey Naturist Soaker, glad to hear you had some company from the group, sorry tho to hear of the days difficulties. Early spring can pose difficulties for sure, particularly with mud. I will be posting the info on the annual Solstice Hike soon.

This post was edited

I agree with everything that naturistsoaker ! It was great to to get out and free hike , with another freehiker! Maybe next hike there will be more of us attending!

This post was edited

Was it warm enough to hike naked? ... I guess its pushing the season a little early for VT.
Yes, it was warm enough to hike naked - perfect temps for my taste, around 70 degrees F with very little wind and lots of sun. Indeed, the warm weather stretch made me forget the snow cover.

This post was edited