Incorporating Nudity in a Story

How do you go about adding the topic of nudism into a story without making it too heavy handed? Like if we want the characters to either be nudists or have a scene where there is nudity, not in an overtly sexual way (like say someone is a nudist in the story and is around those who are not) just in a wholistic nudist way.

Obviously theres the route like some have gone before and placed stories in nudist camps or clubs, but just wondered what anyones thoughts on this were.

This topic was edited
RE:Incorporating Nudity in a Story

Nudity in a story shoul serve some purpose in the story. It should not come out of nowhere and disappear into the ether. It can function as a source of conflict for a character whether interpersonal or intrapersonal.

It could be something that is part of a scene where a character is required to remove clothing. In that case, why? For what purpose? Is it in a doctor's office? A locker room? Is it at a nudist place?

Part of me says let it come up naturally. Do not force it on the reader. Or make hints alluding to the topic, slowly revealing it. Like a literary undressing.

Ultimately, if you are going to use nudity it should serve a purpose. Ask yourself, "Does nudity advance the story or reveal something about the character?"

This post was edited

Also, do not use nudity for shock value. I have seen plays and movies where it is meant to shock. When the story would work fine without it.

Additionally, ask yourself what kind of settings or situations would require a character to be nude. Is the character a home nudist? Is the person an exhibitionist?

I hope i have been of some help to you.

This post was edited

I started simply. All my characters sleep naked and dont rush to dress when they rise.

There are skinny dipping scenes in some of my stories. More recently as my own interest in nudism has grown I have written stories that simply dont involve clothed ppeople.

This post was edited

Nudity in a story should be blended with an appropriate scene. Like profanity, nudity can be a distraction. I agree with others on this. I write erotic fiction and nudity is central to the story. It may be the characters are experimenting or exploring the lifestyle, or introduced by friends or family. There are words I avoid in my narratives. I never use the C word to describe women's genitals. I rarely use the F word. Just my personal opinion.

This post was edited

Wow, it would be great to read these stories. As for video its always been for the shock value. Even in scenes with people changing clothes.
But in books nudity happens all the time !

This post was edited

I have incorporated casual nudity into my stories by simply relating my own nude adventures. I wrote a trio of 2500 word stories for a writer's group with the main character , a college kid , exploring the USA on the Amtrak. He stays with Airbnb hosts along the way. In one home they hosts have a hot tub but the house rules state " no swimsuits allowed" which is my rules here for my guests. The kid decides to give it a try. The hosts also asked him to go with them to a nudist group event so he ends up bowling nude. . I relate his thoughts about it and even have
him confess his nude antics to a priest who tells him he has done nothing wrong. My audiences have chuckled at times when i read the story to them but I have not gotten negative reactions.

This post was edited

I have had two erotic short novels published, both of which feature nudity as the natural state it is, and not just for sex. Of course the whole point of an erotic story is sex. My second novel is about an island where nudity is the normal everyday way of life. 'Someday' is the name of the fictitious island in the South Pacific half-way between the Marquesas and Galapagos Islands.

This post was edited

What are the names of your stories? And can I find them online?

This post was edited