John Cena's Oscar stunt

Sunday night at Hollywood's praise to itself, host Jimmy Kimmel mentioned the (in)famous streaker at the 1974 awards. That was the intro to John Cena shuffling out on the stage wearing only the large envelope with the names of the nominees for best costume award. The crowd roared and clapped. In introduction he mentioned how important costumes are, looking down nevously . In reality he had modesty pouch on and a butt covering flesh covering. You can easily fine the few minute clip online

I have watched some social media reaction and overall mixed to negative. What is the nudist's community think?

This topic was edited
RE:John Cena's Oscar stunt

no outrage here lol

This post was edited

It doesnt do anything good for nudism. First because streaking is not nudism and second he wasnt really nude.

This post was edited

You answered your own question, it was a stunt, a punchline to a joke.

No one looking at it thought it had anything to do with nudism.

This post was edited

For you folks that never experienced streaking back in the day, it was truly a hoot! People you would never have thought would be out in public nude, often times in a large venue, dashing through some event, racing through the shopping center or hurriedly parading across the college campus; it was a blast and had viewers in stitches. I have mentioned in another post about the girl streaking down the front straight at Daytona & getting a standing ovation. Even Ray Stevens got into the act with the hit song *The Streak*. Perhaps if someone had streaked across the back of the stage at the Oscars while throwing an envelope at Cana, that would have gotten more replay than the fake naked announcement. Maybe one day well get back to a better fun mischief environment just maybe.

This post was edited

Maybe one day well get back to a better fun mischief environment just maybe.

This sounds more like nostalgia rather than a nod to a more tolerant time.

I remember the streakers from back then always being chased down and arrested by the police, presumably charged with some offence.

This post was edited

The humor was in the act of trying to stay covered enough for the public. There is no way he'd have gotten away with it had he really been nude, and I think it is much the same as the famous nudist resort sitcom episodes where the principles end up there and when they finally dare to be bare find the rest of the cast fully clothed.

This post was edited

The entertainment industry has no intention of portraying nudity in any way that is favorable to nudists. They use it to titillate their audiences or to amuse them with ridiculous stunts like Cenas. The fact that he was wearing a flesh colored garment to cover his so-called private parts indicates to me that they dont find nudity acceptable. It was pretend nudity, what a joke.

As an aside, I dont understand why anyone watches these celebrities pat themselves on the back and give themselves trophies for pretending to be something theyre not. I havent watched for more than fifty years. I actually got rid of my TV more than fifteen years ago, and have never regretted it.

This post was edited

It raises the question of whether the Academy needs a category called "the best non-costume" for the nude scene that is genuine (ie the actors themselves are fully nude, rather than stand ins and wearing 'nude' knickers or a Merkin).
I think about Jenny Agutter in Walkabout and Helen Mirren in Age of Consent as Hall of Fame worthy nominees for their genuinely nude scenes as great examples.

This post was edited

The entertainment industry has no intention of portraying nudity in any way that is favorable to nudists. They use it to titillate their audiences or to amuse them with ridiculous stunts like Cenas. The fact that he was wearing a flesh colored garment to cover his so-called private parts indicates to me that they dont find nudity acceptable. It was pretend nudity, what a joke.As an aside, I dont understand why anyone watches these celebrities pat themselves on the back and give themselves trophies for pretending to be something theyre not.

You make two very good points here. I have never understood the fascination with celebrity faux nudity. There are a scarce few celebrities who actually live in a way of life vaguely resembling nudism.

This post was edited

It raises the question of whether the Academy needs a category called "the best non-costume" for the nude scene that is genuine (ie the actors themselves are fully nude, rather than stand ins and wearing 'nude' knickers or a Merkin).I think about Jenny Agutter in Walkabout and Helen Mirren in Age of Consent as Hall of Fame worthy nominees for their genuinely nude scenes as great examples.

I like that idea.

This post was edited