RE:John Cena's Oscar stunt

It raises the question of whether the Academy needs a category called "the best non-costume" for the nude scene that is genuine

How would one determine which non-costume was the best?

This post was edited

As an aside, I dont understand why anyone watches these celebrities pat themselves on the back and give themselves trophies for pretending to be something theyre not. I havent watched for more than fifty years. I actually got rid of my TV more than fifteen years ago, and have never regretted it.

The main difference between the entertainment industry and many others is that these shows generate money. They will increase advertising dollars and promote the artists and the media in which they work. Since entertainment is aimed at the public, the more exposure they get the better. Remember the Super Bowl wardrobe malfunction that exposed a nipple and it became one of the most rewound moments in TV history. The sketch of this show was not generated to promote nudity in the arts but generate money. The pans of the audience show that the members seated there were aware of the joke, and the humor came from trying to keep the cover on what broadcast standards indicate should be covered.
I too can't remember watching any of these award shows during the past 50 years, but have a TV that is keeping me informed of history, science, and current events. It would be nice to be able to have a chance to see how other nudists live without it being censored, blocked, or fuzzed.

This post was edited

It raises the question of whether the Academy needs a category called "the best non-costume" for the nude scene that is genuineHow would one determine which non-costume was the best?

Probably easier than we think. Most 'nude' scenes are no longer genuinely nude. Plenty female scenes are topless and then various wardrobe pieces are used to make the lower half look nude. Plus rear shots often use a stand in body model. The list is endless of how it's done.

Even the Australian movie Sirens generated debate back in the day as to whether Elle was genuinely nude or wearing a Merkin!

This post was edited

Just one word about the whole idea - Why?
Why would this be important to a genuine nudist?

This post was edited

Just one word about the whole idea - Why?Why would this be important to a genuine nudist?

PT Barnum, a man of much success in the 1800's said "I don't care what they say in the papers about me, as long as they spell my name right".

This is the old idea that all media coverage is good coverage, no matter how poor the content or the production.

In theory all the junk nudism on TV and in movies is good for genuine nudist as it helps to accept nudity and in some cases normalises it. I would add though that not enough positive coverage of nudism is actually the problem in helping advance the nudist cause!

This post was edited

This is the old idea that all media coverage is good coverage, no matter how poor the content or the production.

You are correct this is an old idea that doesnt really hold up in the era of social media.

This post was edited

I would nominate this years Oscar winner Cilian Murphy. His nude scene in Oppenhiemer artistically portrayed the characters vulnerability getting grilled before a committee . He would also get a nomination for the opening scene in 28 Days Later. Laying nude in a hospital bed
with the camera zooming in from above.

This post was edited

Honestly the preoccupation with nakedness any glimpse any tiny bit of nakedness escapes me. But it fits the mindset that nudism = nakedness. This is causing us to lose what little social capital had especially in the US since we have abandoned any semblance of a common principled way of life that includes social nudity for individualistic, voyeuristic, and exhibitionistic instances of nakedness detached aspects of everyday life.

Then we wonder why the general non nudist public thinks all nudists are weird or worse yet perverted.

Reading this thread with a non nudist lens I would draw the same conclusion.

This post was edited

Then we wonder why the general non nudist public thinks all nudists are weird

To the general public we are weird, we know this, we accept this, but we have to draw the line in the sand for idiots who want to make it much, much weirder by attaching their own perversions onto a naturist label.

This post was edited

Honestly the preoccupation with nakedness any glimpse any tiny bit of nakedness escapes me. But it fits the mindset that nudism = nakedness. This is causing us to lose what little social capital had especially in the US since we have abandoned any semblance of a common principled way of life that includes social nudity for individualistic, voyeuristic, and exhibitionistic instances of nakedness detached aspects of everyday life.Then we wonder why the general non nudist public thinks all nudists are weird or worse yet perverted.Reading this thread with a non nudist lens I would draw the same conclusion.

I'm not sure about other countries, but here in Australia that is certainly not the issue. The outside world views nudism as wierd due to the overtly over representation and leadership of western European extracted middle age men who are unable to control their sexual desires, urges and ambitions. Almost impossible to visit a CO beach without seeing make activity in the back dunes or behind the bushes.

This post was edited