RE:The Lies We Tell Ourselves

Thank you all for your kind wishes and prayers. I had a stroke a year and a half ago in part due to the afib I have had for more than 30 years and I am nearly done 77 years old. For these reasons, my doctors felt like I was not a good candidate for surgery, So the treatment will be 18 months of hormone therapy (ADT) and 28 days of radiation, 5 days a week for 5 1/2 weeks, but waiting until I am on the ADT for one or two months first. We don't have proton therapy in Anchorage but my radiation oncologist says that the cure rate for the 28-day radiation treatment in just as successful as proton therapy. The radiation therapy should have no noticeable side effects but the ADT has plenty. Relative to TN, I will lose all my libido though hopefully it will all come back when the ADT comes to an end.

But additional ADT side effects could be weight gain, loss of muscle mass, increased cholesterol, depression including suicidal ideation, fatigue, and osteoporosis. To counter all that, I am going to enroll in the LiveStrong program at the YMCA in either Alaska or Oklahoma (our other home). If you do not know about it, see their hot links at:

https://www.livestrong.org/what-we-do/program/livestrong-at-the-ymca

https://www.livestrong.org/what-we-do

It is not just for prostate cancer but all kinds of cancer, men's and women's, according to the premise that exercise helps you counter the treatment side effects. It is a 12 week course 2 days a week.

I'll be reporting on progress from time to time. Once again, thank you for all of your concerns, well wishes, prayers and insights. -Alaska Joe

This post was edited

Stay positive Joe and connected to friends and loved ones for support, even a few of the reprobates here too!! Lol

Wishing you successful treatment and a speedy recovery
R

This post was edited

My Androgen Deprivation Therapy began today and for the next 18 months. Radiation gets started in June. Here we go. I took the first three pills about 2 hours ago; one per day thereafter. No side effects yet but they are undoubtedly coming. To counteract that, exercise is the answer, ar least in part, first with the local hospital, and in four months with the YMCA'S Livestrong program. Stay tuned

This post was edited

All the best Joe. I would certainly be more worried about the radiation part than about the ADT. I don't have much testosterone myself and can tel you life can be fine without.

This post was edited

Thank you for keeping us in the loop; I know that it must be causing a degree of apprehension but your ENL friends / connections can accompany you along the way. I have zero knowledge of real medical treatments except for sharing my wife's medical journey. Her's has been an exceptionally bumpy road but a very positive attitude, doing as the doctors instructed and good support has finally gotten it under control. Those same points will help you along the way. Sometimes it was quite difficult, but we (& I stress we as it is a team effort) made it through. The exercise therapy you're undertaking will do can do more for you than lots of folks realize. That degree of workout, the endorphins and putting forth the effort really increases the positives and decreases all others. It's often a literal pain-in-the-a$$, but's well worth it. Keep the faith and let us know how you're coming along. John

This post was edited

Thanks, everyone for all of your positive comments. I was reading just now on the side effects of the ADT I am on, and I noticed the statement that drinking alcohol while youre taking Orgovyx can increase your risk of side effects, such as fatigue, hot flushes, or diarrhea. I stopped drinking alcohol after my stroke a year and a half ago and do not miss it, but perhaps that will will have a side benefit of at least limiting those side effects. Odd that I would be experiencing hot flushes (I thought they were called hot flashes) that many of the elegant nudist ladies in this group would be so familiar with. No side effects of any sort so far, but it has only been a few days.

This post was edited