Kilt Hiking

I have been hiking in a kilt for the last couple of months. I find it close to hiking naked if on busy trails. At the trail head I stick my shirt in my backpack so all I am wearing are boots, gators, backpack and kilt. IfI feel comfortable, I take the kilt off, fold it and hang it from the over the shoulder strap on the side. When I hear or see someone I quickly turn, grab the kilt and put it on. With practice it can be done in 3to 5 seconds. Then I turn around again and continue past like nothing happened. I usuallycomment that I never see anyone on this trail and that either starts a conversation or we just pass with a nod or so. Irecommend the Mountain Hardwear Men's Elkommando Kilt because I can cover up so quickly. Other features of the kilt are lightweight, twolarge pockets, a material that repels waterand the belt is attached so it isall inclusive.I have tried one other kilt from Damn Near Kilt Em but there were too many fasteners to get the kilt on quickly.

This topic was edited
RE:Kilt Hiking

Sounds like a good alternative for dhorts

This post was edited

thanks for the advice! I love hiking and almost always do it naked. I've been thinking about getting a kilt for situations with unexpected encounters, but even these ones you mention seem to be a bit too bulky to my taste. I'd like to find a very light skirt with a velcro... but ideally it shouldn't look like I've stolen it from a stripper lol

This post was edited

Another kilt place is located in Seattle Washington. utilikilts Also REI sells a light weight kilt nice for hiking. Nice to read about some nude hikers.Shirley from Oregon

Utilikilts is nice but I prefer to get mine from UT Kilts. Much better pricing and availability, great to deal with. I have 3 or 4 from them and have worn them hiking quite a few times.

This post was edited

Love bringing back old topics especially if it's great! Love this idea, thank you for sharing this... going to get a new kilt just for this purpose. Love it!! I have worn a traditional one and I'm an avid outdoorsman but I haven't combine the two for SOME REASON because I haven't met you yet hahaha.

I can't believe this isn't a major trend on this group - let's start a kilt club!!!

This post was edited

My choice in hiking kilt is the Elkommando. It's also suitable for sitting on while driving and wearing around town.

This post was edited

I have been thinking about buying a kilt just don't know about how well they stay down I live in a place with high winds and it blows all the time.
Any ideas to help me out.

This post was edited

Yer looking at a situation that has no good solution. Heavy fabric would blow less, but feel heavy and warm. Light fabric blows easy but feels light and airy. Might just have to experiment with some variations and find something that's an acceptable compromise.

This post was edited

Sounds like a good alternative for dhorts

Why not just get a skirt from a 2nd hand store? I wear a skirt pulled up and my waist and just skootch it down when necessary. Takes all of 1 second. Hiking nude is risky business. The more remote the area, the more likely to encounter someone = Murphy's Law.

This post was edited

Someone posted that he just uses a towel held together by velcro when backpacking.
Then he doesn't have to bring any "clothing" but is still covered when necessary.

This post was edited

Someone posted that he just uses a towel held together by velcro when backpacking.Then he doesn't have to bring any "clothing" but is still covered when necessary.
You can get a towel wrap with a pocket and velcro waistband on Amazon. I use these all the time at nudist resorts when I'll need a towel to sit on rather than bringing a full sized towel around with me. Gives similar coverage as a kilt and is very quick to put on/take off. I could see using these when hiking.

This post was edited