Western MA

Hey, just intro'd myself in the newb thread. I'm looking for a place to go swimming. That's it. I'm not too sure about socializing or crowds. Maybe, i dunno, I just wanna go swimming somewhat privately without feeling like I'm doing something wrong.

I heard Knightsville up off of 20 was acceptable, anyone been there? I've been a few times but just to the dam or to hike around with the wife and our dog.

I Really don't want to do like a club or resort and the closest beach is too far.

Thoughts?

Cheers!

-Kev

This topic was edited
RE: Western MA

I have a friend in Huntington who went tubing on a river out there just recently. He said they saw several naked sunbathers as they floated along. I'll try to run it down for you. I don't think it was the Millers River. That's up in Erving-area along Route 2.

This post was edited
RE: naked outdoors in MA

Relative to NudeInMA comment about perverts ruining Cummington, that's the problem with sharing one's secret naked-in-Mass locations on the 'net. People show up who don't respect the space and either are obnoxious, make indecent propositions or trash the place.
We used to hike in and camp at a spectacularly beautiful waterfall up off the Kangamangus in The White Mountains. Imagine our disappointment and utter disgust when we returned there a few summers ago to find broken glass and trash all around. Even with Teva sandals on in the water, I got a nice slice in my foot from broken glass.

This post was edited

Kev, Welcome to this community.

Why not go during the week to Berkshire Vista in Hancock? It probably won't be as crowded as during a weekend.

This post was edited

Cummington is still a viable location, not busy as parking is limited to about a dozen cars now. Just go on Rte 9N our of Northampton, think of going past Look Park. once you see the sign "Entering Cummington" go 1.1 mile to the path leading in (far right of rest area) Parking areas are about 1/4 and 1/2 mile north of that location. It no longer has the large crowds that closed it down years ago. My wife and I loved the place
The picture you see of me on my profile page is a place called "The Whirlies" on Rte 2 (We all know it as the Mohawk Trail) Take Rte 2W to Blandford. Once you see the statue of "Greeting the Morning" on the left hand side of the road. go to the next right curve in the road. Do not park in that spot but at the next parking area to the right. Step over the divider and follow the path. No swimming there but nice rocks to lay out on, and not busy at all when we go
Still other places within easy drives at the Ledges, Go to Brattleboro and follow 9 west, as everyone knows it, It can be crowded though
And also their is Rock River, Going through Brattleboro and follow 9 East Ask anyone for directions, they all know it
I am not so sure if those two are Rte 9, Just ask anyone, they will direct you
I know of people who have gone nude at Knightsville and love it, but not sure how to get there

This post was edited

There is no requirement to call ahead. Just show up. For single AANR members, the grounds fee for weekdays is $20, and $25 for Friday to Sunday. You can't go wrong.

AND...if you need or want AANR membership and/or TNS, I can facilitiate that via my club, Travelites.

This post was edited

Thx for the comments... A little late in the year and a touch too far to drive up but maybe next year... In the mean time, I did find a nice "secret spot" for some good hiking not too far off the the beaten path. I'll post some pictures of the vista up top as well as the hike itself. It was probably my first and the shorts felt so wrong at the end of the hike... (sigh)

Probably gonna head back up Thursday as long as "Earl" holds out! Although, if I bring some soap, naked in a hurricane might save some time in the shower!!!

-Kev

This post was edited