house plants

most think of gardening as an outside thing to do, but many of us have house plants also.

What is the oldest houseplant you have kept alive?

For me I have a Snake Plant or Mother-in-law Tongue that was a start from a plant my brother was given in grade school one spring and to grow over the summer and enter into a contest the next fall. I don't remember if he won, but 50 years later the plant is still living. It is in a south facing window in a cool room

I also have a large leafy, can never remember what it is called ( Schefflera , umbrella tree) one that was given to me when my father passed which was nearly 30 yrs ago. I move it outside from May to Oct and bring it in for the winter and put it in an east facing window in my bedroom which also faces the road . it is big enough that i do not have to close the curtains for the privacy?

who else has managed to keep some house plants alive that long?

This topic was edited
RE:house plants

I have no old plants except for a mother-in-law tongue that was given to me as a wrinkled dried up leaf that a friend had neglected. I have now had it for about ten years and it has grown and flourished into what is now two pots of offspring. Amazing what a little light and water can do!
All my other plants are recent as I put them on my patio for the warmer months and the squirrels have damaged or completely destroyed most of them. The ones that do not go outside are less than five years old. I will not live long enough to have kept a plant for fifty years.

This post was edited
RE:house plants

Some of you have me beat by quite a bit but I inherited a Christmas cactus in 1992 that was at least ten years old at the time, and it has grown and grown since. Guests comment that they never saw one as big. Probably needs repotting again, sort of an ordeal. Blooms nicely.

Love the comment that it doesn't like curtains, just like nudist people. No wonder I have such an affinity for that plant!

This post was edited