RE:Cooking With Cast Iron.

We found a great way to re-heat leftover pizza. It does not require cast iron but would work. You will need a 9" or larger skillet with lid or cover, non stick works better but this is where cast iron would also work with a small amount of olive oil. Heat up skillet sizzling hot ( not enough to burn), place two or three pieces of pizza in the skillet, cover for around 20-30 seconds, uncover, sprinkle a tablespoon of water around the pizza slices in the pan ( not on them) cover for a minute or so.
In my opinion it is better than the fresh pizza as it crisps up the crust and re-heats the top ingredients perfect!

This post was edited

My wife finds most cast iron cooking pots much too heavy to handle safely but we do have a cast iron plank (the local name for it) which is proncipally required for cooking Welsh Cakes but also cooks steaks and rissoles to perfection.
(Picture posed without gas lit.)

This post was edited

My wife finds most cast iron cooking pots much too heavy to handle safely but we do have a cast iron plank (the local name for it) which is proncipally required for cooking Welsh Cakes but also cooks steaks and rissoles to perfection.(Picture posed without gas lit.)

That looks like one I restored for a guy I know. It was labeled as a Crepe Griddle on the bottom of it. These are the before & after pics of when I restored it.

This post was edited

I usually just nuke my left over pizza for 15 seconds or eat it cold but there is no better way to cook cornbread than in a cast iron skillet. And for those who have low iron, a dr. told my father in law a couple of weeks ago who was low on iron that cooking in a cast iron pan can give you residual iron. Didn't know that.

This post was edited

I love to make dump cake over a campfire in a dutch oven. Ingredients... Simple, a box of cake mix, a can of sliced pineapple, a small can of fruit cocktail and two sticks of butter.
Dump (hence the name) pineapple slices in the Dutch oven with liquid, arrange to lay flat. Then dump the fruit cocktail over that with liquid, spread evenly, next dump the cake mix over the whole mess, spread evenly, last dice up the butter and place evenly on top of the cake mix. Cover, place on campfire. Add already burning brickettes on top of lid, 1 brickette = about 50 degrees cooking temperature is 400 + outside temperature difference below 60, you do the math. Open and check what's up after 15 ~ 17 minutes by poking with a knife, When the top and center are somewhat dry (not sticking to knife) take off heat, wait 5 minutes and serve at will... Delicious. Depending on outside temperatures, its usually a 25 to 25 minute bake over no flame coals.

This post was edited

Picked up a couple Lodge skillets after years of thinking cast iron would be super hard to keep clean/properly seasoned, and now its my favorite way to cook! Would love to get some old stuff next as I hear they were better quality back in the day.

This post was edited

Would love to get some old stuff next as I hear they were better quality back in the day.

They were and still are better quality than what is made today, IMHO.

This post was edited

Inspired by your post I got back out of the back of a cupboard the two cast iron skillets we have had too long and very lttle used. There is a post above that gives a clue why they are sparingly used - my wife can't handle the weight that confidently. At least they don't move around the hob when cooking like lightweight pans.

Mine don't even get put in the cupboard. I have a place on the cabinet top next to the stove where some are stacked and also on a burner next to it, since I don't typically use all four burners at any time. Then on the opposite side of the stove I have a deep pot with a lid that has oil in it for deep frying. I can just slide it over onto the stovetop when I need to use it, no lifting involved for the most part. If kept in the open like this they tend to get used more frequently, which is a good thing.

This post was edited

My cast iron is not old, but most purchased recently. I don't use it every day but often, There are a few pieces in the set that I have not used, but will probably use them someday. I use the dutch oven to bake bread and also to make stew. therefore, I have two of them.

This post was edited

Can you share your method of stripping old cast iron and how you cure them. I have several rusty pieces of my grandfather's that I recently found that I would like to get back in service. With the pieces of the grandfather's that I found I now have about 30 cast iron pieces including a cast iron wok and 5 gallon gumbo pot.

This post was edited