RE:Cooking With Cast Iron.

Can you share your method of stripping old cast iron and how you cure them. I have several rusty pieces of my grandfather's that I recently found that I would like to get back in service. With the pieces of the grandfather's that I found I now have about 30 cast iron pieces including a cast iron wok and 5 gallon gumbo pot.

Sure thing, but I don't have the time right now, so check back later. My method takes less than an hour per piece to have it ready for the first cycle of re-seasoning.

This post was edited

Thanks, Lakeman, I will be interested in seeing that also. I have sandblasted some in the past but would love to see a different way.

This post was edited

Thanks for taking the time to post all of that. I have a couple of pieces that I think would be good candidates for the propane burner approach so looking forward to trying that. Also found myself doing the forehead slap along with a "duh" at your mention of the angle grinder with brush. I have used a bench mounted wire wheel before but found it difficult to get into all the interior surfaces. The angle grinder certainly seems better suited for that purpose and I even have one out in the shop. Thanks again for the great writeup.

This post was edited

This method works much faster than electrolysis, vinegar soak, oven cleaner or cleaning in a self cleaning oven. The first 3 can takes days or even over a week to get it cleaned to bare metal, and the self cleaning oven method you need to be able to open windows and doors to ventilate the kitchen of the smoke and fumes for several hours. The propane get's it hot enough to burn off the accumulated crud and make the rust turn loose, but not hot enough to damage the iron, 800* maybe 900* tops depending on the burner. Like I said in my last post, be sure to show some before and after photos of the CI you are restoring, in THIS thread so we can see how it turns out from how it started out looking. Once clean, you may find some identifying marks or lettering on the bottom you may not have known were there.

This post was edited

Just finished up cooking in one of my Cast Iron pots. Fried up some catfish and French fries for supper. I got enough cooked to have some for tomorrow, either to take to work for lunch or for supper again after I get home.

This post was edited

Thanks for taking the time to post all of that. I have a couple of pieces that I think would be good candidates for the propane burner approach so looking forward to trying that. Thanks again for the great writeup.

Have you or ClifMS tried this method for cleaning cast iron yet? I just acquired an old 3 notch Lodge skillet yesterday and will be going to take a look at another rather large skillet a little later today. Both will be getting the same treatment to restore them to usable condition again.

This post was edited

Have you or ClifMS tried this method for cleaning cast iron yet? I just acquired an old 3 notch Lodge skillet yesterday and will be going to take a look at another rather large skillet a little later today. Both will be getting the same treatment to restore them to usable condition again.
I have not. I have property in two states and the CI items that need restoring are all about 800 miles from where I am now. I should be heading back that way in the April/May time frame so may try doing it there or possibly retrieving the items and doing it here on my return.

Good luck with the new pieces.

This post was edited

I have not. I have property in two states and the CI items that need restoring are all about 800 miles from where I am now. I should be heading back that way in the April/May time frame so may try doing it there or possibly retrieving the items and doing it here on my return.Good luck with the new pieces.

Be sure to post something up here when you get ready to start on your CI later on. Did you locate your angle grinder yet? Is it a 4-4.5" one or larger? You don't really want to use one larger than 4.5" for something like this, with a 3" cup brush. I prefer the twisted wire ones like this, https://www.harborfreight.com/3-inch-twisted-wire-cup-brush-47927.html as the wires are stiffer and they last longer than the crimped type. They also have them in the wheel version, too.

I cleaned up the skillet I bought the other day, it is in the oven right now on it's 3rd heat treatment seasoning. Looking REAL GOOD so far. I'm sure it's going to turn out GREAT! I have yet to see the big one I mentioned, but the lady who has it indicated the size by holding her arms out in a circle and from that I am guessing it must be at least 24" in diameter. I don't really have a NEED for one that size, but they are rare to find, since they quit making them that big more than 50 years ago. So I want to get it to preserve it for posterity if nothing else. But I will try to make a point to cook with it from time to time, just to keep it in use, so it will know it is getting some loving. She's supposed to contact me when she get's it dug out of the storage container it's in.

This post was edited

Although not cooking related but still on the subject of cast iron, is a 24" Ridgid pipe wrench I found at an estate sale this past summer. It was covered in surface rust when I found it, but was in otherwise remarkably good condition. It was marked $10 and when I got to the check out, the man running the sale looked at it and said $5. I took it home and cleaned it up with the same wire brush cup and wiped it down with some paint thinner to remove any residual rust dust. I sprayed it with a high quality primer(2 coats) and went to the local Dollar store for some red spray paint. It turned out extremely close to the shade of red that The Ridge Tool Co. uses on their pipe wrenches, so I was happy with that as I was more expecting a fire engine red.

I started getting curious as to how old this tool might be, so I contacted The Ridge Tool Co. and gave them the patent number on it. The only thing I could get from them was that if it had a patent # on it, that it was made in 1938 or later, 1937 or earlier had patent pending. On further investigating I found out that the ones with a tapered handle at the hanging hole were discontinued after 1946, when they went to a rounded end. On further digging I ran the numbers I found on the jaw of the wrench. This indicated that it was most likely made in January of 1941, to the best of what information I could find regarding the possible history of this old pipe wrench. I am glad to have it and won't hesitate to use it if I need a 24" pipe wrench, even though it is now nearly 80 years old but still in pristine condition. There is virtually no wear on the teeth of this wrench, as evidenced in the photo.

This post was edited

I have not. I have property in two states and the CI items that need restoring are all about 800 miles from where I am now. I should be heading back that way in the April/May time frame so may try doing it there or possibly retrieving the items and doing it here on my return.

Did you ever get around to doing these pieces yet? It's well past May now so just thought I would check back with you on this.

This post was edited