I Was a Grade School Nudist

"Every nice weekend in the summer, my dad would load up the car with
camping equipment and we'd be off to a campground in nearby Florida.

My two sisters and I hated going. HATED it...

Being nudists was the thing that made us different. Made us weird. Made us wrong.

Knowing that I had a thing about me that people couldn't know gave me a sense of shame that took years to shake.

I thought if anyone ever knew this horrible nudist thing about me...well, that'd be about it.
I, seriously, didn't even tell my husband until we'd been married several years.
I still haven't told my children ..."

Read more on this article: jezebel.com/i-was-a-grade-school-nudist-5932617

This topic was edited
RE:I Was a Grade School Nudist

_

Have you considered the impact on your children?
As a parent, how would you approach this differently in your family?

How would you present the whole nudist family concept?

Should parents make children keep secret about something that is deemed
healthy and wholesome into a thing "whose name must never be uttered"?

This post was edited

My first wife and I were into out fourth or fifth social nudist outing when the topic of our daughter started coming up. People would ask us why we didn't bring her; and my wife and I would look at each other with a puzzled look. Sure; we were all naked around each other a lot - at home. But bringing her to be naked amongst a bunch of other naked people? We just didn't know if it was the right thing to do.
Back home we had some discussions about it; and came to the conclusion that she was young enough at the time (2.5 yo) that the odds of causing any kind of "damage" was very low. Plus it would be a good thing if she saw other kids being naked with their Mom and Dad. If "issues" arose, we would deal with it then. Quitting was always on the table. And so we started bringing her.

Have you considered the impact on your children?As a parent, how would you approach this differently in your family?

The impact on her was always a primary consideration. I always watched her body language when we'd get to the resort and undress; looking for any sign of discomfort. In her case it was clear for a long time that she actually enjoyed nudism and looked forward to our resort trips.
That changed when her body started changing. As she started showing signs of self-consciousness, I simply asked her if she needed stay dressed. She shyly responded yes; I think she didn't want to disappoint me. But to me that was the disappointing but necessary sign that it was probably time for her to give nudism a rest. This is where I feel the author's parents "dropped the ball", so to speak.

How would you present the whole nudist family concept?

I didn't "present" it a lot. Only to a very select few people whom we felt were open-minded enough to hear it without "freaking out." But even then there is always a risk.

Should parents make children keep secret about something that is deemedhealthy and wholesome into a thing "whose name must never be uttered"?

I believe that the unfortunate answer to that questions is "Yes." The potential of negative ramifications is just too great. It's a "necessary evil" in some respects; but necessary nonetheless.

This post was edited

_
If Jill Hamilton, the author of the article, was in this music video:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPDcwjJ8pLg&feature=youtu.be&t=42

she would have been holding a card saying:

I SPEND MY VACATION IN NUDIST CAMPS WITH MY FAMILY

This post was edited

We took our boys to resorts until they were about 10, and they never made a bad comment about it. Children are not offended by nudity. We talked with dozens of parents before we had kids and all of them say their kids raised without clothes had a great respect for the other gender.
Maxx

This post was edited

_Have you considered the impact on your children?As a parent, how would you approach this differently in your family?How would you present the whole nudist family concept?Should parents make children keep secret about something that is deemedhealthy and wholesome into a thing "whose name must never be uttered"?

No parent should force nudism on their kids. It's the same with anything: if it clear that it's a stressful and awful thing for your children, and you keep doing that, that is awful. It's called Bad Parenting. It's like smoking marijuana around your kids, it's like getting someone you don't know to babysit them. It's like not making them wear their seatbelt and bike helmet. I am a nudist now that I'm an adult. I didn't have the nerve until I was in my 20s. If my parents had forced me to publicly strip naked at age 8 or 9, I'm sure I probably would have just started crying and wanted to hide somewhere, and/or throw stuff at my parents. It probably would have felt worse than getting beaten up by the biggest bully at school. I don't know how I would have reacted. Maybe if I was like 3 years old, but older than that? No way. But then again, That's Just Me.

This post was edited

Fun article. The author writes humor pieces and had to get in some corny jabs, but overall shes happy she was reared a nudist. What she didnt like was the secrecy surrounding the nudism her family maintained back in the 70s.

This post was edited

This site is only available to users 18 and over and we use cookies

We use cookies for functionality, social media, and google analytics. To view our cookie policy please view Our Cookie Policy