Making beer

Here's some beer that I made a while back, just finished fermentation. Turned out excellent. As you can see it's super dark. The recipe called out 5 gallons, but I bottled it as six. As dark as it is I probably could have gone seven or eight gallons and still had a really dark beer. I just use wine bottles and put about a gallon in, then I just have to drink the gallon before it goes flat since it's been opened. But it keeps a good head on it for several days.

This topic was edited
RE:Making beer

Ah man, that sounds awesome! I really need to learn to brew, hats off to all you home brewers!

This post was edited

I must ask. Is your beer better than Moose Drool. If so I need to make a trip to Big Sky country.

This post was edited

That looks really good. I have not brewed beer in many years. Should get back into it.

This post was edited

I love dark beer. Moose Drool use to be my go to, but my cash flow has since shifted to Pigs Ass Porter, brewed by Harvest Moon brewery out of Belt MT.
Started growing hops years ago with intent to brew my own, but that hasn't happened yet. So I hit all the micro breweries when I travel.

This post was edited

I've been enjoying a lot of the beer from red Lodge brewery and Sierra Nevada brewery out of California. This beer I think is probably just as good as the over counter beer, and certainly darker and stronger, but that could be adjusted at bottling. This kit is one that I buy off of eBay and I think it's called muttons. I'll have to check on the name. It's only 25 bucks and makes 6 gallons of beer. And includes everything except water and sugar. We buy the big 5 gallon water jug out of the grocerystore, because it's already clean distilled and as close to sterile as necessary. Then I pour it all back into that 5 gallon bottle/container for the yeast process (cap vented), takes about 7 to14 days, until the bubbles stop rising. Then I add sugar to the bottles, I use wine bottles because they are strong and have a screw top cap. Then pour the beer brew mix in and let sit for 14 days minimum. A person can modify the process to suit taste, by using more water to make it less strong, and by using more sugar to give it a higher alcohol content. Deviating from the manufacturer recipe is trial and error. But I've used twice as much sugar has the recipe called for, and it turned out well. This batch was the regular recipe though.

This post was edited