Valentines Day

Kay, here is a discussion we were part of last night......many people are of the opinion that Valentines day is yet another phoney Hallmark occasion which has gotten out of control!
Used to be a guy would go out and purchase a nice card, maybe a bunch of flowers, and perhaps a box of bon bons for the object of his affections. Occasionally a lady would do the same for her guy.....but these days it seems the marketing is pushing us all towards spending increasingly vast amounts of cash on trinkets bobbles and gifts to PROVE our love.
The idea, whether implied or expressed was that a bigger diamond meant bigger love, more gold meant more fidelity....but it often resulted in a commercial transaction of massive proportions that may or may not actually be appreciated by the recipient.
I myself have never owned a diamond, but I have been pressured in the past to buy them.
Is it necessary to spend a wad these days to prove your love?
Do actions speak louder than words?
And the other part of this question is.... do people get carried away in this gift giving simply in the hope of getting lucky?
OMG, I hope not......but guilt over recieving an expensive gift can be a powerful motivator to aquiesce to anothers desires....
What does the rest of our forum think?

This topic was edited
RE: Valentines Day

As a much-missed girlfriend once said to me - "We have 365 days a year to show our love for each other, why do we have to make a special effort on this one day?"

Now I'm single, today just serves to remind me that I am just that - single!

This post was edited
Choose to invest time not money on Valentines day

Den & I have always marked Valentines Day in one way or another. In the early days we did fall into the commercial trap that the day has become but I soon learnt that taking time to mark the occasion by either making a simple card or two with my own words and imagery was much more appreciated. In these days of digital cameras/images it's not that difficult to capture & print out an appropriate image and add your own words.
Don't stop expressing your love just because it generates profit for faceless corporations - just take time to look for alternatives.

This post was edited
RE: Choose to invest time not money on Valentines day

Has St. Valentine's Day become a Hallmark Holiday? Yes, like so many other holidays, it has. So thumb your nose at Wall St. and make your own! The best cards I've ever received or given were homemade. It may seem hokey to some but I enjoy a day set aside specifically to acknowledge the love I feel for all the incredible people in my life. A great day to follow the K.I.S.S principle.

To all my friends who are true nude
my feelings of love do exude
You are always near in my heart
E'en though we are miles apart
Far too many names to include
to leave out but one would be rude
And though this rhyme be not smart
These words I want to impart...
I LOVE YOU ALL!

Jen

This post was edited
RE: Choose to invest time not money on Valentines day

https://www.mademan.com/love-mans-most-expensive-emotion
A sobering collection of Valentines facts can be found here. I let my sweetheart know every day that I love her.
Today it seems we are marooned together, the weather has turned ugly here and the ferry I was to take home has been cancelled due to high winds, so I guess we will just have to snuggle together and get through the storm somehow!
And for those who are single, rejoice in the amount of savings you enjoy, maybe go and spoil yourself with a nice meal or a night out with friends.

This post was edited
Valentines Day

In our daily lives we show our love for each other in many small ways, but it's nice to be reminded that we should say "I love you" more often. To my beautiful, wonderful wife of 40 years; Happy Valentines Day! Love you, forever.

This post was edited