Homophobic Doctors

So I was having testicle pain that was radiating into my left side. I went to my PCP who has always seemed uncomfortable wit me. I told him about my problem and he said "You dont need me to examine your testicle, I will send you for an ultrasound". Then he refers me to the urologist who is supposed to be 'the best in town' who tells me 'why dont you just palpate your testicle for me and recreate the pain. Neither doc ever touched me! I am a licensed medical professional myself and worked in a medical clinic for years. This seems totally unprofessional to me.

This topic was edited
RE:Homophobic Doctors

I agree. I don't know what kind of training doctors are getting today, but being comfortable with the entire body should be a requirement for getting a license. I've had similar experiences with doctors. Those who treat my body like I have the plague between my legs don't see me again, that's for sure.
Did you get a diagnosis?
FYI: Testicle pain can be from a gluteus medius in spasm.

This post was edited

I agree. I don't know what kind of training doctors are getting today, but being comfortable with the entire body should be a requirement for getting a license. I've had similar experiences with doctors. Those who treat my body like I have the plague between my legs don't see me again, that's for sure.
Did you get a diagnosis?

This post was edited

That sounds too bad, as though they don't want to deal with it. Do you think the doctors may worry about being sued for touching the patients? Nevertheless, no matter what the reason was, I agree, it wasn't very professional! Hope you are doing o.k. now.

This post was edited

That sounds too bad, as though they don't want to deal with it. Do you think the doctors may worry about being sued for touching the patients? Nevertheless, no matter what the reason was, I agree, it wasn't very professional! Hope you are doing o.k. now.

Thx! No it wasnt about liability, it was definitely because I am gay. One doc was from Ecuador and very macho ....

This post was edited

I agree. I don't know what kind of training doctors are getting today, but being comfortable with the entire body should be a requirement for getting a license. I've had similar experiences with doctors. Those who treat my body like I have the plague between my legs don't see me again, that's for sure.Did you get a diagnosis?FYI: Testicle pain can be from a gluteus medius in spasm.

The homophobic urologist said "Well we could remove the testicle but it may not relieve the pain!' WTF ??? It's a twisted sperm cord. Luckily I found a gay male massage therapist who was willing to do pelvic floor massage which helped greatly!

Thanks for asking!

This post was edited

I'm happy to hear you got relief. A twisted sperm cord is no fun.
Sounds like you got some good therapy.
Good to know your problem is resolved.

This post was edited

I have definitely seen several homophobic DRs. One told my I was too naked when I was there for something that requires me to strip. I was still wearing underpants. A dr wouldnt discuss sti testing with me he was very homophobic. Based in Vancouver near commercial drive. Ive also had a female dr whose religion prevented her from being able to help me with certain medical situations.

This post was edited

Thanks for that information. I've had testicle pain on and off for several years. Testicular ultrasounds come back normal. I had wondered if my lower back pain was associated with this, I do have hip pain also. Now the root cause may be at hand. Thanks for pointing this out.

This post was edited

The only homophobic doctor I have visited was a dermatologist. Kinda in the the wrong field of medicine if you don't like to see people naked.

This post was edited

While not specifically on topic, I had a problem with testicular torsion when I was extremely sexually active in my 20s.
The first doctor who examined me did some extensive 'hands on" examinations and an x-ray that made no sense to me at the time.
He told me when he was done with the procedures that all I had to do was take some pain killers and use hot water, in the shower or bath, while I manipulated my testicles to relieve the rotation. It worked like a charm.
I have never done it to or for any other guys, but I have told them what I was instructed to do, and they also found relief. I related to Yoga Joe's comment where he said he went to a massage therapist who solved his problem.

Doctors can make things simple or complex.

This post was edited