Preparation time:
Cooking time:

Ingredients
1 boneless pork shoulder roast (Boston butt),
4 to 5 lbs (1.8 to 2.2 Kg), rolled and tied
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Hickory chips, soaked in water for at least 30 minutes

Directions
Season the roast with salt and pepper and cook over a low, indirect fire until the meat is very tender and has reached an internal temperature of 190F (88C), about 3 to 4 hours. Add hickory chips to the coals in small amounts during the cooking. Chop or "pull" the meat into small pieces and toss with a little bit of sauce. In North Carolina this mixture is traditionally served on white bread or hamburger buns, with a scoop of coleslaw on top of the meat. Serve additional sauce on the side. Serves 12 to 15.

Notes
They say that a barbecue expert can tell which North Carolina county you live in based on the type of barbecue sauce you prefer. I don't know if that is true, but I do know there is a fierce rivalry between the vinegar-based and ketchup-based factions, so I have decided to give them equal time here.

Eastern North Carolina-Style Sauce

1 1/2 cups (375 ml) cider vinegar
3 Tbs (45 ml) sugar
1 tsp (5 ml) Tabasco sauce
Crushed red pepper flakes to taste
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and simmer for 10 minutes. Serve warm. Makes about 1 1/2 cups (375 ml).

Western North Carolina-Style Sauce

3 Tbs (45 ml) butter
1/4 cup (60 ml) finely chopped onion
2 cups (500 ml) ketchup
1/2 cup (125 ml) firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup (125 ml) yellow mustard
1/2 cup (125 ml) cider vinegar
1 Tbs (15 ml) Worcestershire sauce
Tabasco sauce to taste

Heat the butter in a saucepan over moderate heat and saute the onion until tender but not brown, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer 10 minutes. Allow to cool to room temperature. Makes about 4 cups (1 L).

Shared from my Recipe Keeper - the easy way to collect, organize and share your recipes on your mobile, tablet and PC.

Download for free today at https://recipekeeperonline.com

This topic was edited
No replies yet.