teaspoon onion powder
1 cup vegetable oil for frying, or as needed
6 hamburger buns, split
cup prepared yellow mustard, or to taste
cup dill pickle slices, or to taste
1 pinch chili powder, or to taste
1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 175 degrees F (80 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

2. Cut the crusts off the bread slices. Place slices on the prepared baking sheet.

3. Bake in the center of the preheated oven until dry and toasted, about 45 minutes.

4. Transfer toasted bread to the bowl of a food processor and pulse until you reach coarse crumbs.

5. Place ground chuck, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder into a bowl. Add bread crumbs. Combine with your fingers, breaking apart the meat.

6. Dampen your fingers with water and form mixture into hamburger patties.

7. Heat to inch vegetable oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Place a patty into the pan and turn heat down to medium. Cook until well browned and crusty, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining patties, adding more oil if needed.

8. Remove from the pan and serve on hamburger buns with mustard and pickles; sprinkle tops of patties with chili powder and/or cayenne if you like prior to serving.

Notes
I'm showing you my take on one of America's strangest hamburgers, and certainly the hamburger with the strangest name. But don't worry, this is 100% mollusk free. The name comes from the fact that these used to cost a nickeland in the past, the slang term for nickel was "slug."

You can use 8 ounces of store-bought coarse fresh bread crumbs instead of making your own. I used 7 slices of Orowheat potato bread, but any white sandwich bread will work. The Orowheat is a large slice, so if someone is using the smaller square sandwich loaves, then they will probably need 12 slices. Removing the crust is optional, but I think makes for a better crumb.
You can prepare these patties ahead and chill until ready to cook; or they freeze very well.

Nutrition
Amount per serving
Calories: 267.9
Total Fat: 15.1g
Saturated Fat: 5.8g
Cholesterol: 54mg
Sodium: 735.8mg
Total Carbohydrate: 16.1g
Dietary Fiber: 1.2g
Protein: 16.1g

Shared from my Recipe Keeper - the easy way to collect, organize and share your recipes on your mobile, tablet and PC.

Download for free today at https://recipekeeperonline.com

This topic was edited
RE:Mississippi Slugburger

Going to have to give these a try they sound good thanks for sharing

This post was edited

This post was edited

This post was edited